This 4-Ingredient Crescent Roll Ground Beef Casserole comes together in just minutes for an easy weeknight dinner! It's a simple one dish meal that you will turn to again and again when you need to feed your family...fast!
Along with chicken breasts, ground beef is one of those staples that makes its way onto our meal plan just about every week. It's easy to buy the meat in bulk and then save it in the freezer for nights when you don't want to make a separate trip to the store, and the versatile protein works in so many different types of recipes.
Since I'm always looking for new ways to keep dinnertime interesting, you can imagine how happy I was when a reader named Stephanie shared this ground beef casserole recipe with me! One look at the list of ingredients and I instantly knew that it would be a winner in my house, too!
I originally "met" Stephanie when she participated in the free 5-Day Meal Planning Challenge that I hosted earlier this fall. We were swapping recipe ideas, and Stephanie mentioned this dish that her family always called "That Pizza Casserole." Here's what Stephanie had to say:
One of our favorite "quick" dinners is one that we had when both our children were growing up, and now my husband and I still enjoy it! The bonus now is that there are more pieces leftover for lunch the next day!
What You Need To Make This Ground Beef Casserole;
- Crescent rolls
- Cheddar cheese
Although I called this recipe a Ground Beef Casserole, it's also a lot like a Taco Pizza (as Stephanie said). The crescent rolls form the crust, which is filled with salsa (or barbecue sauce), ground beef, and cheese. Who knew that 4 simple ingredients could taste so darn good!?
In fact, the first time I served this ground beef casserole, Keith spent the entire meal raving about it. No, I didn't tell him just how easy it was (I'll let him think that I spent a long day slaving over a hot stove)! The dish is now on my go-to list of "quick dinners" as well -- thanks to the tip from Stephanie!
More Ground Beef Casserole Recipes You Might Like:
- 5-Ingredient Dump-and-Bake Beefaroni
- 5-Ingredient Cabbage Casserole
- Johnny Marzetti Casserole
- Taco Pasta Casserole
4-Ingredient Ground Beef Casserole
- 1 8 ounce can Pillsbury crescent roll dough (I like to use the Crescent Dough Sheets, which don’t have any perforations)
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef can substitute with ground turkey or chicken as well
- 1 cup salsa can substitute with barbecue sauce
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I used 2% cheese, but any variety will work)
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Spray an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray. You can also use a 9 x 13-inch dish -- it will just yield a slightly thinner crust and beef layer. Either works well, though!
- Unroll crescent roll dough and press into the bottom of the prepared dish to form a crust. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain any fat from the skillet.
- Stir in 1 cup of salsa.
- Spoon beef mixture over the crescent roll dough. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Cut into squares and serve.