Your busiest weeknights just got a little bit easier, thanks to this Lightened-Up Taco Crescent Casserole! It’s a simple, family-friendly, and nutritious way to get dinner on the table fast!
Gosh, my family LOVES Mexican-inspired dishes. It seems like no matter which type of meat I use, or which wacky way I toss the ingredients together, the boys will always finish their dinner if it includes taco sauce, salsa, and/or guacamole.
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or just looking for a simple mealtime solution, this is the recipe for you!
I love that I can prep this dinner in advance and just leave it in my refrigerator until I’m ready to bake it. It makes our crazy late-day rush at least a little bit smoother. I have even been known to brown the meat over the weekend and keep it in the fridge until I’m ready to assemble the casserole. It’s one less step later on and it speeds up the process even more!
You can serve this lightened-up casserole alongside a fresh green salad and you’ll have a complete, healthy meal that your family will love…and your waistline will also appreciate!
[Tweet “A family-friendly #dinner gets skinny! Lightened-Up Taco Crescent Casserole #healthyrecipe”]
Lightened-Up Taco Crescent Casserole
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup taco sauce or salsa
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 8 ounce can reduced-fat refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 ½ cups reduced-fat shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese divided
- ½ cup non-fat plain Greek-style yogurt
- Optional: salsa avocado, sliced green onion for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a pie plate with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat. Drain off any fat, return to the skillet, and stir in taco sauce and taco seasoning.
- Meanwhile, separate crescent roll dough into 8 triangles. Place the dough in prepared pie plate with the wide end of the triangles in the center of the plate and the narrow tips hanging over the rim of the plate.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt and 1 ¼ cups of the shredded cheese.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture over the crescent roll dough. Dollop the yogurt mixture on top of the beef.
- Fold crescent roll dough over so that the tips are in the center of the dish. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For serving, top with salsa, sliced avocado, and sliced green onion if desired.
Looking for other easy recipes with that fun Mexican flare? Try these favorites!
Easy Barbecue Fish Tacos