This recipe for Taco Pasta Casserole was originally published in April, 2014. The photos were updated in January, 2018.
Two dinnertime favorites come together in one dish for this Mexican twist on the classic mac and cheese! Taco Pasta Casserole is one of those easy dinners that the entire family will love, and it’s ready for the oven in about 15 minutes.
I basically just jazzed up some Velveeta Shells & Cheese with a bit of ground beef and salsa, and called it Taco Pasta. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Just a few simple pantry staples come together to create this crowd-pleaser, which can be prepared in advance and refrigerated or frozen until you’re ready to bake it.
All of the busy parents out there — I know that you can appreciate another make-ahead weeknight dinner that your kids will actually eat (and for once, it’s not chicken nuggets). In fact, your husband might just love this even more than the children do!
My boys love this dinner so much that when we recently enjoyed it, Casey told me that I’m “the bestest dinner cooker ever.” That’s a very high compliment (in my mind) from a two-year-old.🙂
If you love cheese, then I know that you’ll love this Taco Pasta too! It’s the creamiest, cheesiest, and easiest dinner that you’ve had in a long time!
I hope that your family enjoys it as much as we do!
TACO PASTA CASSEROLE
Taco Pasta Casserole
Yield 4-6 servings
- 2 cups (about 5.3 ounces) uncooked medium shells pasta
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 jar (16 oz) taco sauce or salsa
- 1 can (10 ¾ oz) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces diced Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook beef in a Dutch oven over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the taco sauce, soup, and Velveeta cheese; heat through.
- Drain pasta; stir into meat mixture. Transfer to a greased 11-in x 7-in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded Mexican cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serving Size 1/6 of the recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 28.4 g
Saturated Fat 13.7 g
Cholesterol 97.5 mg
Sodium 1654 mg
Total Carbohydrates 36 g
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 28.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Need some help planning your family’s meals? When you join Simply Mailed, I will send you 3 quick-prep dinner recipes and a grocery shopping list each week (for less than $1 per week!!!). This super-affordable service takes the stress out of dinner, saves you time and money, and brings your family together at the end of the day. There are even options for smaller households of just 1 or 2!