Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Dump-and-Bake Taco Casserole is a healthy, easy dinner with only 10 minutes of prep! Salsa rice and cheesy turkey meatballs cook together in just one dish!
This taco casserole is super quick and comforting just what we need on busy weeknights. Best of all you can actually prep this casserole ahead of time, leave it in the fridge and bring it out when you’re ready to eat!
I love dishes that can be prepped in advance or have very little prep altogether, that way when hunger strikes I’m only a few moments away from a cozy, comforting and delicious meal that I know the whole family will love.
What’s In This Taco Casserole?
Juicy turkey meatballs, rice, tangy cheddar cheese, taco seasoning, and sauce make up this delicious casserole. The ingredients are simple and it’s all made in one dish, that’s what makes this so easy.
I just love the combo of meatballs and rice together with the freshness of the tomato sauce and tangy cheddar. You can also top the casserole with your favorite toppings for the ultimate comfort food meal!
For a lighter version of this casserole try going for a reduced fat and low sodium cheddar or cut the cheese by half. You can also look out for lean turkey meatballs although turkey meat is already pretty lean.
Delicious Toppings For A Taco Casserole
Here are some delicious ideas to top your casserole, choose your favorites;
- Green Onions
- Sour Cream
Tips For Making This Taco Casserole
Cooking for Just Two? You can cut the ingredients in half and bake the casserole in an 8-inch square baking dish. Keep an eye on the dish as it bakes, though — it might require slightly less time (closer to 45 minutes instead of an hour).
Want to Prep Ahead? You can prepare the entire casserole ahead of time (through Step 3), and then keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
More Delicious Taco Recipes You Might Like:
Dump and Bake Taco Casserole
- 2 cups taco sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 24 bite-sized frozen turkey meatballs about 340 grams, thawed
- 1 cup (4 oz) Cheddar cheese shredded
- Optional toppings: sliced green onion diced avocado, sliced tomatoes, sliced olives
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir taco sauce, water, tomatoes, taco seasoning and rice together in prepared dish. Add meatballs and ½ cup cheese; stir to combine.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil (make sure it’s very tightly sealed so that the moisture doesn’t escape – the rice needs the liquid to cook).
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the rice is tender. During the final 5 minutes of cooking, remove dish from oven, uncover, and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese. Place back in the oven (uncovered) for the final 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with desired toppings before serving.