Do you love Chipotle, but you're tired of paying for carry-out? This is truly the easiest burrito recipe to make at home -- and they're freezer-friendly! Keep a stash in your kitchen and you can satisfying your Mexican food cravings any night of the week.
We all have those busy weeks when we don't have the time or the energy to cook dinner. Simple prep-ahead options are the KEY to making mealtime manageable!
Whether you've just had a baby, you work long hours, or you're juggling multiple kids' sports schedules, I've got a burrito recipe that will bring the joy back to your family's dinner table. Best of all, these store beautifully in the freezer!
I'm so excited because I've finally figured out how to create burritos that don't get soggy -- and they still taste delicious.
By eliminating watery vegetables and sauces, the tortillas stay firm and fresh. It's a burrito recipe that actually delivers that crispy exterior...and that warm, cheesy inside!
A few quick notes to help with your burrito prep:
- If you want to make sure that these are freezer-friendly, be sure to skip any watery fillings like tomatoes, salsa, or lettuce, which just result in a soggy tortilla.
- I use the large "burrito size" 10-inch flour tortillas (I like Mission brand because they're extra soft and easy to fold without tearing). This burrito recipe creates 6 VERY BIG burritos! That means that my kids (and often myself) can only finish about half of a burrito at any given meal. As a result, I usually bake 3 burritos in an 8-inch square pan for one night...and save the other 3 in the freezer for another meal. That's two dinners for 1 effort! BONUS.
- If you prefer smaller burritos, you can adjust the amount of ingredients that you use. For instance, use less rice or less cheese for a lighter option.
- This recipe is only meant as a guide. You can pick your favorite ingredients and use those instead! For instance, swap out the beef and replace it with ground turkey or ground chicken, if that's your preference. Use brown rice instead of white rice. Omit the rice entirely. Use black beans instead of the refried beans. Use homemade taco seasoning instead of the packet. You get the idea...
- Don't forget the toppings! These burritos are best served with avocado or guacamole, salsa and sour cream for dipping, fresh sliced tomatoes, red onions, etc. Don't be shy.????
As I explain in the recipe below, you can bake the burritos right away...
or wrap them in foil and keep them in your freezer for a later date. Both instructions are below.
I tend to do half-and-half: bake some now, save some for another time!
Whether you enjoy them instantly or reheat them when you need a quick dinner, I can assure you that this is one easy burrito recipe that you will turn to again and again.
Thank goodness for simple, flavorful, and satisfying meals that the whole family can agree on! And don't forget...chips and this 5-minute homemade salsa are the perfect side (and you'll really feel like you're dining at Chipotle)!
THE EASIEST BURRITO RECIPE!
The Easiest Burrito Recipe
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 1 ounce packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 ½ cups refried beans or 1 ½ cups drained and rinsed black beans
- ¾ cup corn kernels
- 3 cups cooked rice I like to use Uncle Ben's microwaveable Ready Rice for a quick option
- 6 large 10-inch flour tortillas (I like to use Mission brand "burrito size" tortillas)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional garnish: finely diced red onion; lettuce; diced tomato or salsa; sour cream; fresh cilantro; avocado or guacamole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook beef with taco seasoning mix, according to seasoning package instructions.
- To prepare 1 burrito: spread ¼ cup beans down center of tortillas; top with ½ cup rice, beef, 2 tablespoons corn, and ¼ cup cheese.
- Fold in opposite sides of each tortilla, then roll up, burrito style. Place, seam-sides down, in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients to prepare 6 total burritos.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes (until heated through). If you are baking the burritos from the refrigerator while they’re still cold, it will take about 30-35 minutes for them to heat through.