Cheddar Biscuits with Chives and Bacon are the perfect, prep-ahead side dish for all of your brunches, showers, and Spring celebrations! The easy recipe only requires 15 minutes of prep, so you can bake the biscuits on a Sunday morning to enjoy with your omelet, or stash them in the freezer for a later date!
This recipe was inspired by my friend Margeaux, who is one of my favorite recipe sharers! She loves to cook as much as I do, and she's full of great ideas (remember her amazing coleslaw?!).
When she told me about some scones that she had made using cheddar, chives, and bacon, I knew that I needed to create my own version at home. With Easter brunch, Mother's Day, and multiple baby showers on the horizon, I knew that these bacon biscuits would be the perfect side dish for all of our festive occasions.
These Cheddar Biscuits Are Ready In Just 30 Minutes!
I also love these bacon biscuits because they are completely nostalgic. I used my dad's biscuit recipe, which he has been making for as long as I can remember.
I have vivid images from my childhood of enjoying the plain version with strawberry jam on Sunday mornings before church. They are 100% comfort food for me because they remind me of my parents! Plus, they just taste really good. They're not greasy at all, and I love that my boys now enjoy them (with jam), too. I think that GrandDaddy will probably be making a batch for my little guys the next time we visit!
Other easy baked goods that you might enjoy:
Cheddar Chive and Bacon Biscuits
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- ¼ cup diced cooked bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (½ stick) very cold butter
- ¾ cup whole milk or cream, plus more as needed
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C.
- In a small bowl, toss together cheese, chives, and bacon with 1 tablespoon flour. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut in butter (or see note below about using a box grater with frozen butter).
- Add milk and stir just enough to bring the ingredients together. This should make a soft, sticky dough. If the dough seems too dry, continue adding a splash of milk or cream to the bowl until the dough becomes sticky and forms a ball. Don't worry -- the dough will be less sticky and will come together nicely when it's kneaded on the flour surface and that extra flour is incorporated.
- Gently fold in the cheese mixture.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 1 minute.
- Pat or roll out dough to ¾-inch thickness.
- Cut into rounds (I used a 2 ½ inch round biscuit cutter, but a juice glass will also work!).
- For crisp biscuits, place far apart on an ungreased baking sheet. For fluffier biscuits, place them close together (touching) on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
This recipe for Cheddar Biscuits with Chives and Bacon was originally published in September, 2014. The post was updated in March, 2017.