For a quick, easy, and delicious comfort food dinner that the whole family loves, you can’t go wrong with a Simple Chicken and Mushroom Casserole! It’s a one dish meal that pleases even the pickiest palates!
Don’t think that your kids like mushrooms? Well, think again!
Your little ones will adore the mild, creamy taste of this sauce, which coats the tender chicken, mushrooms, and pasta in this easy weeknight dinner!
With only a few basic pantry staples and about 25 minutes, you can serve your family a wholesome, nutritious, and CHEESY pasta bake. It makes mealtime simple, so that you can focus on other more important things. Homework? Laundry? Baths? The list goes on, but at least you don’t have to worry about what’s for dinner!
This casserole is a great way to use up leftover (or rotisserie) chicken, and it can easily be prepped in advance so that you just pop it in the oven when you’re ready to eat. Again, the goal is EASY weeknight dinners, and this is a winner that you’ll want to hold onto!
- 12 ounces uncooked small pasta (I use mini penne)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- ⅔ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1 (16 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms (approximately 4-5 cups)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta until just al dente, according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, approximately 7-8 minutes. Remove mushrooms from skillet and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet. Add flour and stir to cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in broth, milk, salt and thyme and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Allow sauce to cook until it thickens, whisking regularly so that the sauce is smooth (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in cooked pasta, mushrooms, and chicken.
- Transfer chicken mixture to prepared dish. Top with mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove cover and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through.