This is truly a family favorite! Ever since I shared my Rice Casserole with Chicken and Broccoli recipe (many years ago), it has been a staple in our repertoire of easy dinner recipes. It's simple, it's freezer-friendly, and it's very quick to throw together. You just can't beat the convenience of a make-ahead one dish meal!
This Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is the ultimate in family-friendly dinners! It's mild in taste and it combines a few of my boys' favorite ingredients.
I appreciate the fact that I can put it together in advance and either leave it in my refrigerator until I'm ready to bake it, or stick it in the freezer for a much later date.
Top Tips For Making This Rice Casserole
To keep the hands-on prep time minimal, I recommend using the meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken. A bag of frozen broccoli florets also eliminates chopping -- and you don't even have to thaw the veggies before they go into the dish! Plus, if you buy the "baby broccoli florets," they're perfectly bite-sized for little mouths.
One additional short-cut that you can take? Pick up a pack of microwaveable rice (such as Minute Rice or Uncle Ben's Ready Rice). You don't even need to heat it up before you add it to this dish.
Since it will cook some in the oven, you can just take the rice from the packet to the casserole without any additional steps. If you have some left-over rice from another meal, that's always a great option too.
Enjoy, friends! Whether it's cold or warm outside, I have a feeling that this recipe will stay in your dinner rotation for many years to come!
- Want to Prep Ahead? You can assemble the casserole as instructed, cover, and refrigerate (or freeze) until ready to bake.
- Cooking Just for Two? Cut the ingredients in half and bake the casserole in a 1-quart dish for about 20 minutes.
Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 2 cups cooked, diced (or shredded) chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 12.6 oz bag of frozen baby broccoli florets NOT thawed
- 1 can (1.25 cups) condensed cream of chicken soup, NOT diluted I used Campbell's Healthy Request
- ¾ cup mayonnaise I used light mayonnaise, but any variety will work
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup grated Italian cheese blend or substitute with grated cheese of choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for cheese.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes (or until heated through and bubbly).
This recipe was originally published in March, 2014. The photos were updated in September, 2018.