My Dump-and-Bake Skinny Chicken Parmesan Casserole is a one-dish dinner that’s nutritious, easy to prepare, and incredibly family-friendly! Just combine the raw ingredients in a pan and pop it in the oven — no prep work involved. Busy weeknights never tasted so good!
You guys!!! This recipe is the dinnertime trifecta: easy, healthy, and kid-friendly!!!
As you probably know by now, I’m working with Kohl’s this season on the #MakeYourMove campaign. As I mentioned in my first post, the goal of the Make Your Move program is to show Americans that living well and feeling good can be easy and fun. Getting healthy doesn’t have to be about deprivation or punishment. Instead, let’s lead a balanced and healthier life by doing the things that energize, enliven, and motivate us! We can celebrate delicious foods, find physical activities that bring us joy, and learn to focus more on the important people and moments in our lives.
Kohl’s also shares my view that this season should be about coming together, celebrating our loved ones, and enjoying each other’s company. The “All Together Now” theme applies to special holiday meals where we can serve delicious and nutritious dishes, as well as your average crazy-busy weeknight supper when we’re scrambling to pull together a meal.
This lightened-up casserole is the perfect example of a simple and healthy supper that brings the family together — even on busy evenings, and keeps you out of the kitchen with very little prep work.
There’s no need to boil the pasta in advance or used pre-cooked chicken. Instead, all of the ingredients mingle, share seasonings, and cook together in one big pan. My baking vessel of choice? This awesome Food Network™ Porcelain Lasagna Dish from Kohl’s!
It’s a traditional and versatile white, which means that it will match any kitchen, coordinate with any holiday decor, and make any food look fresh and clean! Plus, it’s really deep so that I can easily stir the ingredients in the dish without worrying that I’ll end up with marinara sauce all over my countertop.
And you know who loved the food inside my dish? This little guy!
While all of my boys devoured this meal, I think that it has quickly become Spence’s favorite dinner. As you can see, I couldn’t even snap photos without him taking the food straight off of the tray! I have SO MANY Spencer photobombs from this particular shoot — he just couldn’t help himself!
This Dump-and-Bake Skinny Chicken Parmesan Casserole is a dinner that brings our family together, keeps everyone happy, and nourishes our bodies. That’s exactly how I like to spend the holiday season!
[Tweet “Dump-and-Bake Skinny Chicken Parmesan Casserole is healthy & family-friendly! #FitFluential #MakeYourMove @Kohls”]
Dump-and-Bake Skinny Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 1 (13.25 ounce) package uncooked whole grain penne pasta (can substitute with rotini or other similar small pasta)
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ lbs. raw chicken breast tenders (or thinly sliced chicken breast)
- 1 ½ cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella (or Italian blend) cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs or whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Optional: fresh chopped herbs (such as basil, oregano, and parsley) for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add pasta, marinara sauce, and water to the dish and stir to combine. Place chicken in a single layer on top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. You want to make sure that your dish is covered tightly so that none of the moisture escapes (the pasta needs to absorb the liquid as it cooks). Bake the covered dish for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; stir.
- Spread mozzarella over the top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 5-10 more minutes (or until cheese is melted, top is golden brown, pasta is tender, and chicken is cooked through).
Looking to simplify your life even more? Check out my eCookbook Fast, Fresh & Fit!, which includes some of our family’s easy go-to recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner — and none of them require much prep time! You can learn more HERE!
Looking for more family-friendly dinner options? Try these favorites:
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Kohl’s.