Broccoli and Cheese is a quick and easy side dish recipe that even your kids will devour! After all, the smooth and creamy homemade Velveeta cheese sauce dresses up just about any vegetables or potatoes, making them a delicious and flavorful addition to your next meal.
Velveeta Broccoli and Cheese
Broccoli and cheese are truly a match made in heaven! Whether you combine these two ingredients in a soup, for a casserole, in a salad, or stuffed in a potato, this popular combination never disappoints. A creamy Velveeta cheese sauce for broccoli is the best way to encourage your family members to eat something green, or to just mix it up if you're tired of boring steamed broccoli! The quick, versatile side dish is delicious alongside roasted chicken, grilled steak, meatloaf and pork chops.
The Best Cheese for Cheese Sauce
I always use Velveeta cheese to make this creamy, cheesy sauce, but you can substitute with another similar brand of American cheese. American cheese is a type of processed "cheese" made from cheddar, Colby, or other similar cheeses. It has a mild, creamy and salty flavor, a low melting point, and blends smoothly into sauces -- making it ideal for this recipe. You can substitute with grated cheddar, but I find that the Velveeta melts best and creates the smoothest sauce.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese
This easy side dish comes together in about 15 minutes from start to finish! While the broccoli steams, you'll whisk together the sauce on the stovetop. That's about as simple as it gets...
- Broccoli florets (fresh or frozen will both work)
- Salt and pepper
- All-purpose flour
- American cheese
How to Steam Broccoli -- The Easy Way
First, steam the broccoli florets. While you can do so in a steamer basket on the stovetop, I think it's even easier to steam the broccoli in the microwave. Just place the florets in a microwave-safe dish. Add a splash of water, cover, and microwave on HIGH for 6-8 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain the liquid from the broccoli, season with salt and pepper, and then transfer to a serving dish.
Prepare Velveeta Cheese Sauce
While the broccoli is cooking, whisk together the cheese sauce on the stovetop.
Spoon Cheese Over Broccoli
Top the cooked broccoli with the creamy cheese and serve!
What meat goes well with broccoli and cheese sauce?
This easy and versatile side dish goes well with almost any of your favorite meat entrees. Here are a few options to try:
- Grilled Steak or Steak Tips
- Ribeye Steak in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Fried Chicken
- Roasted Chicken
- Turkey Breast
- Salisbury Steak
- Oven Fried Breaded Pork Chops
More Ways to Use the Cheese Sauce
This cheese sauce is delicious on almost any of your favorite vegetables -- not just broccoli. Spoon it over cauliflower, green beans, asparagus and baked potatoes. Serve the sauce for dipping with soft pretzels, use it on tortilla chips to make nachos, or spoon it on a hot roast beef sandwich or French Dip!
- For an even faster shortcut and one less dish to clean, purchase a package of frozen steam-in-bag broccoli florets. Cook the frozen broccoli according to the package instructions, season with salt and pepper, and top with the homemade cheese sauce.
- Roast the broccoli in the oven instead of steaming. To do so, toss the florets in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet in a 450 degree F oven until crisp-tender, about 15-20 minutes. Finish with the cheese sauce.
- Season the broccoli with additional herbs or spices before adding the cheese sauce. Garlic powder, all-purpose seasoning, Cajun seasoning, thyme, parsley, oregano or chives would all be delicious.
Tips for the Best Broccoli and Cheese Recipe
- Cut the broccoli florets into uniform bite-size pieces so that they cook evenly in the same amount of time.
- Keep the cheese sauce warm and stir regularly until ready to use. The sauce starts to firm up as it cools, so it's not as smooth and creamy. Serve immediately, if possible.
- Use American cheese (such as Velveeta brand) for the smoothest, creamiest cheese sauce.
More Vegetable Sides to Try
- Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- Amish Green Beans in Brown Butter
- Sauteed Spinach with Garlic
- Creamed Peas
- Easy Green Bean Casserole
Broccoli and Cheese
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces American cheese (such as Velveeta), cut into small cubes or grated
- Place broccoli florets in a large microwave-safe dish. Add a splash of water. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 6-8 minutes, or just until crisp-tender. Drain; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens and bubbles. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; cook, stirring until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Place steamed broccoli in a serving bowl and top with cheese sauce.