Layers of broccoli, cheese, and a creamy sauce are topped with stuffing for the ultimate Easy, Cheesy Broccoli Casserole! Fannie’s recipe is a perfect vegetarian potluck dish, a great side for the holidays, and a delicious addition to your next weeknight dinner!
So now that the weather is cooler, I find that my salad intake has drastically decreased. Anyone else?
I have prepared (and taste-tested) many different broccoli casserole recipes over the years, since I’m on a constant quest to get my kids to eat more of the green stuff. Broccoli is a favorite in our house, but the microwaveable steamed version can get boring. A broccoli casserole is the obvious solution! I can honestly say that this particular recipe is my new go-to!
The original recipe comes from my neighbor Fannie, who shared it as a part of the Madison Rescue Squad’s cookbook fundraiser earlier this year. Fannie has shared many different dishes with us over the years — from cookies at Christmas to summer potluck picnics — so I knew that her broccoli casserole was bound to be a winner, too! In fact, Fannie was the very first neighbor that we met when we moved into our farmhouse over 10 years ago. We share a back fence line with Fannie’s cows, and it has been such a pleasure to get to know her (and her farm animals) over the years.
Fannie arrived the same day as the moving trucks, on a cool October afternoon, with a loaf of pumpkin bread and a warm introduction. Does it get any better than that? I instantly knew that I would love this woman, and let me tell you — her broccoli casserole does not disappoint!
Whether you add it to your Thanksgiving Day feast, prepare a smaller half recipe for dinner tomorrow night, or take it to your next church potluck, I know that you (and all of your neighbors) will enjoy this dish as much as we have!
Fannie’s Easy Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
Fannie's Easy Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- 2 heads of broccoli cut into florets (or 3 10.8-ounce bags of frozen broccoli florets)
- 2 eggs
- 1 large onion diced (I used 1 cup of frozen diced onion as a shortcut)
- 1 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup (NOT diluted)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 6 ounce box stuffing mix (I used a 6-ounce box of Stove Top Chicken Flavored Stuffing)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Steam broccoli in a large pot for about 4-5 minutes, or until crisp-tender (you can also do this in the microwave for about 3 minutes per frozen bag of florets).
- In a blender, combine eggs, onion, condensed soup, and mayonnaise until smooth.
- Arrange half of the steamed broccoli in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top of the broccoli and pour half of the soup mixture over top. Repeat the layers with the remaining broccoli, cheese, and soup mixture.
- Prepare stuffing mix (according to package instructions). Spoon stuffing over top of casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 40-45 minutes, or until browned on top and heated through.
Cooking for a Smaller Crowd? You can easily cut the ingredients in half and prepare the casserole in an 8-inch square baking dish.
Need some help planning your family’s meals? When you join Simply Mailed, I will send you 3 quick-prep dinner recipes and a grocery shopping list each week (for less than $1 per week!!!). This super-affordable service takes the stress out of dinner, saves you time and money, and brings your family together at the end of the day. There are even options for smaller households of just 1 or 2!