With just four basic ingredients you can have a Healthy Chicken Enchilada Casserole ready to go in the oven -- with only 5 minutes of prep time! Easy, nutritious, and family-friendly weeknight dinners don't get any faster than this!
You guys know that I love a simple dinner that I can toss together with little-to-no prep time, right? Well I managed to tweak one of our family's favorite casseroles to make it healthier AND faster -- and best of all, every boy in the house loves it!
Tips for Prepping in Advance
Take advantage of shortcuts by using rotisserie chicken meat that you pull or chop in advance, leftover grilled or roasted chicken from a previous meal.
Put prepared chicken into a sandwich or freezer bag and keep it in the refrigerator or freezer (I like to also keep the all-natural cooked frozen chicken strips from Costco in my freezer so that I always have some meat on hand for dishes like this).
With your chicken already cooked and chopped, it's really just a matter of layering your ingredients in your prepared dish and popping it in the oven. So simple!!!
And you know what? You can even make it in advance (nap time, weekend meal prep, whenever it suits YOUR schedule), and keep it refrigerated until you're ready to cook it. Again, so simple!!
How to Keep Your Chicken Enchilada Casserole Healthy
There's nothing in this casserole that's unhealthy. Chicken is a lean meat that's full of protein and by swapping regular full-fat Mexican cheese for a low-fat version it cuts down the fat and calories but doesn't compromise flavor!
You can decide on what topping to opt for, I like to top with sour cream and guacamole. Again, you can go for low-fat sour cream to keep the calories down and instead of buying store-bought guacamole simply top with slices of avocado.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Enchilada Casserole in 4 Easy Steps
In a large bowl, toss together chicken, half of the enchilada sauce and half of the cheese.
Place 4 of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared dish, tearing them as necessary to cover the bottom.
Top with half of the chicken mixture and drizzle with more enchilada sauce. Repeat layers one more time.
Cover with foil and bake. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake until cheese melted and casserole is hot and bubbly.
You can store leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days or store in the freezer in suitable containers for up to 3 months.
Looking for other quick and easy dinner recipes? Try these favorites:
- Barbecue Chicken Ramen Noodle Bowls
- Honey Dijon Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Sheet Pan Supper: Skinny Chicken Taco Fries
4-Ingredient Healthy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups 12 ounces diced or shredded cooked chicken (such as rotisserie chicken meat)
- 1 ½ cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- Optional garnish: sour cream sliced green onion, sliced olives, diced avocado or guacamole
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken, half of the enchilada sauce (about ¾ cup) and half of the cheese (about ½ cup).
- Place 4 of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared dish, tearing them as necessary to cover the bottom (overlapping is fine).
- Top with half of the chicken mixture and drizzle with ¼ cup of enchilada sauce. Repeat layers one more time.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes (until cheese melted and casserole is hot and bubbly).
- Garnish with optional toppings!