Raise your hand if you may have overdone it just a little bit with the sugar cookies, fudge, and booze over the holidays?!? While those treats taste great as we’re enjoying them, they often leave us feeling lethargic, puffy, and cranky. That’s no way to start the New Year! Instead of starving yourself or crash dieting, how about getting back on track with a balanced lifestyle…starting with this Slow Cooker “Cabbage Patch” Detox Soup? It’s an easy and delicious way to treat your body as it deserves to be treated — nourished, valued, and loved.
When I call this a “detox soup,” I don’t mean the kind of detox soup that tastes like garbage and leaves you in a perpetual state of hunger. Nope, not here! Instead, I prefer to load up on satisfying, filling, real food ingredients that fuel my body, give me energy, and keep me full until the next snack or mealtime. We’re detoxing from the junk — nothing artificial in here, nothing that will spike your blood sugar, and nothing with empty calories. Just wholesome, delicious nutrition!
I love that you only need 10 minutes to toss the ingredients into a Crock Pot, and then you can come home to a healthy dinner or easy lunch that’s high in protein, full of filling fiber, and loaded with veggies! This is a great option to throw together on the weekend so that you can stock your fridge or freezer with quick meals for the week ahead. I serve my soup with a side of avocado toast for healthy filling fat to round out the meal, but that’s just my preference. A grilled cheese sandwich would also be tasty for dunking!
I based this recipe on my grandmother’s classic Hamburger Soup, which she used as her own “detox soup” for years. If you prefer a vegan option, I’ve noted those simple swaps in the recipe, too.
And as you recover from the holidays and work to get your diet back on track, just remember that it’s all about balance. Nourish your body with a giant bowl of Cabbage Patch Detox Soup, get some exercise and fresh air, read a good book, enjoy time with friends, and treat yourself to your favorite indulgences. There’s nothing wrong with a cookie or some chocolate — especially after a big bowl of soup!
Slow Cooker "Cabbage Patch" Detox Soup
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 cups cut string beans frozen is fine
- ½ head of cabbage cored and chopped
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef I used 96% lean, cooked and drained OR an additional can of kidney beans for a vegetarian option
- 1 16 ounce can red kidney beans (about 1 ¾ cup), rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon turmeric optional
- 1 tablespoon curry powder optional
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, I like San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water OMIT the water if you like a thicker soup that's more like a stew
- Place onions, carrots, string beans, cabbage, and celery at the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Top with cooked beef and drained beans. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, bay leaf, and optional turmeric and curry powder, if desired. Pour crushed tomatoes, beef broth, and water into the pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours, or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf. Serve immediately, store in the refrigerator for up to one week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Cooking Just for Two? Cut the recipe in half to make 4 or 5 servings, and freeze any extra soup that you don’t want to enjoy right away. It keeps in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months!