Living in a 100-year-old farmhouse, we feel every little change in the weather. We hear the pitter patter of rain on our tin roof, we feel the thick humidity of the Central Virginia summers seep through our walls, and we listen to the howling wind as it screams through the doors. There is no mistaking that it’s winter right now, the weather is frigid, and all that we want to do is sit by the wood stove with a mug of tea. This is the time of year for comfort food, and nothing beats a classic Slow Cooker Chicken and Stuffing Casserole for an easy dinner. With carrots, broccoli, chicken and stuffing all cooked in a creamy sauce, it’s a true one pot meal that warms our bodies, nourishes our souls, and takes the chill off of these cold February nights!
One of the most popular recipes on this blog continues to be a recipe for Chicken and Stuffing Casserole that I shared back in 2013! The recipe is one that I received on an index card at my bridal shower from one of my mother-in-law’s friends. It also reminds me of a dish that my own mom made regularly during the cool weather months of my childhood. Long story short, this is a classic combination for a reason: it’s delicious, it’s easy, and it appeals to just about everyone!
While the original is still a keeper, sometimes I just need a dump-and-go slow cooker chicken recipe that doesn’t require my attention…at all. The kind of meal where I can toss the ingredients into a pot, set the timer, and then forget about it for the rest of the day. I don’t want to dwell on my dinner, stress about what to serve, or spend hours slaving over a hot stove. Set-it-and-forget-it is definitely the way to go!
I adapted Lois’s recipe to make use of the Crock Pot and added some veggies so that it would be a complete dinner — no sides necessary! This Slow Cooker Chicken and Stuffing Casserole is comfort food at its finest, and an easy weeknight dinner that every home cook should have in her repertoire. I hope that you enjoy it as much as our family does!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets (about 4 cups)
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ¼ cup water
- 3 ½ cups (about 7.5 ounces) dry Pepperidge Farm Herb-Seasoned Stuffing Mix
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Spray inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place carrots and broccoli at the bottom of the prepared slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of the vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together condensed mushroom soup, condensed chicken soup, and water. Pour sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle dry stuffing mix over top of the chicken. Drizzle with melted butter.
- Put a lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours (or on HIGH for 3-4 hours).