If you think that your kids don’t like seafood, please try this recipe! It’s seriously good, and it’s about to change your mind (or your kids’ minds) about how tasty fish can be — even when the weather is cool and you can’t grill outside. With just 5 simple ingredients and 5 minutes of prep you can prepare a healthy Orange Maple Baked Salmon for the perfect easy dinner! The entire meal is ready from start to finish in less than 20 minutes, making it an ideal family-friendly seafood supper for busy weeknights.
Oh, and I’m giving away $700 at the bottom of this post, so be sure to scroll all the way down for those details!
It’s pretty easy to love seafood when you’re on vacation at the beach, you’re sitting in a restaurant with the waves lapping nearby and the fresh ocean breeze blowing across your sun-kissed cheeks. The fish is fresh, someone else is doing the cooking, and you’re in total relaxation mode.
Reality check: it’s tough to replicate those ideal summer seafood conditions in the middle of January in Central Virginia, so I know that a recipe better be out-of-this-world delicious if my family is going to enjoy an oven-cooked version. That’s just where this Orange Maple Baked Salmon comes into play!
I take advantage of bright seasonal fruit (hello, Orange!) to give the baked salmon a hit of freshness and to provide a sweet contrast to the savory, buttery fish. This baked salmon does not come out of the oven dry and bland! Instead, it’s tender, moist, and glazed with a perfect layer of flavor and zing.
Since we’re not standing at the charcoal grill in sub-freezing temps right now, a 5-ingredient recipe with only 5 minutes of prep is pretty much as good as it gets! There’s no need to sacrifice texture, flavor, or time with this healthy dinner that’s ready in minutes! And if you like to stock your pantry for last-minute meals, this Orange Maple Baked Salmon is a great solution. You can keep the fish in the freezer, oranges in the refrigerator, and the other pantry staples nearby for a quick meal that doesn’t require a last-minute trip to the grocery store! So just go ahead and pour yourself a margarita, spray on a tan, and pretend you’re oceanside — this dinner just might transport you there!
Before we get to the recipe, how about a fun $700 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway?! I’ve teamed up with some great bloggers to bring you this amazing St. Patty’s Day giveaway. You can enter below (and please note that the form may take a few minutes to load). The giveaway is open for entries until 11:59PM on March 15. We will announce the winner on March 17, 2017! Good Luck!
Orange Maple Baked Salmon
- Zest and juice from 1 orange (about ¼ cup juice)*
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 salmon fillets, about 6 ounces each
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together orange zest, orange juice and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until slightly thickened (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove from heat and whisk in Dijon until smooth.
- While the glaze is simmering, season both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon skin-side down on a foil-lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Liberally brush glaze over each salmon fillet.
- Cook on the top rack of the oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. I like to remove the salmon halfway through cooking to brush with additional glaze before returning to the oven to finish.
*The zest is where you get most of the orange flavor, so don’t skip that part. I love to use my microplane to easily zest the orange in just a few seconds!
Cooking Just for Two? Cut the recipe in half and bake according to instructions above.
Want to Prep Ahead? Make the glaze in advance and keep it store in an airtight container in your refrigerator until you’re ready to use it (up to 3 days ahead of time).
Note: This nutrition information is based on using the entire recipe of glaze + salmon. In reality, you will probably only consume a small amount of the glaze on top of your fish!
Thanks to my friends at the following blogs for contributing to this awesome giveaway!