It’s January, which means that many of us are focused on lighter, healthier meals as we recover from the indulgent holiday season. This Healthy Slow Cooker Chili is my family’s favorite easy, weeknight comfort food — and it’s full of lean protein, beans, veggies, and zesty seasonings!
You guys have probably heard me mention this slow cooker chili on the blog zillions of times in my various Our Week in Meals posts, so I figured it was time for the recipe to have its own spotlight.
This meal is a staple dinner in our house (especially at this time of year), because 6-year-old Casey constantly requests it!
While I love the ease of my Crock Pot, I’m the first to admit that some recipes just don’t work well with the low-and-slow cooking method. One option that never fails, though? A delicious Slow Cooker Chili!
It simmers all day on the counter and just gets better with time. The flavors meld together and the end result is an easy, one-pot-meal that the entire family adores.
To make last-minute dinner prep even faster, I like to brown the ground beef, onion and garlic in advance and then just keep the cooked meat in a container in my refrigerator (or freezer) until we’re ready to use it. This is a step that I can usually do on the weekend so that I only have to dump the ingredients into the pot on a busy weekday morning.
As I said, it’s one of the boys’ absolute favorite meals, so it’s a perfect option to please everyone around the table (and we all know how challenging that can be). Add a pan of cornbread with honey on the side and your cozy slow cooker chili dinner is complete.
There’s no need to sacrifice flavor or satiety when you’ve got lighter, healthy comfort food options to nourish your body and warm your soul!
HEALTHY SLOW COOKER CHILI
Healthy Slow Cooker Chili
- 2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef you can sub with ground chicken or ground turkey if you prefer
- 1 ¼ cups frozen diced onion or about 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 15 ounce cans red kidney beans or small pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 15 ounce can corn kernels, drained
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese; sliced green onions; sour cream; sliced olives; crushed tortilla chips
- Heat about 2 teaspoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef, onion, and garlic in the skillet until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
- Place beef mixture inside a large slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with optional toppings.
Need some help planning your family’s meals? When you join Simply Mailed, I will send you 3 quick-prep dinner recipes and a grocery shopping list each week (for less than $1 per week!!!). This super-affordable service takes the stress out of dinner, saves you time and money, and brings your family together at the end of the day. There are even options for smaller households of just 1 or 2!