Cheese tortellini are baked in a creamy, cheesy sauce for an easy and delicious weeknight dinner! This Chicken and Veggie Tortellini Casserole is a family-friendly way to get a wholesome and comforting one dish meal on the table fast!
This right here will soon become one of your family’s favorite meals…I have NO doubt!
I almost called this Chicken Pot Pie Tortellini Casserole, because that’s exactly what it tastes like. I basically just borrowed a traditional chicken pot pie filling, stirred in some Parmesan cheese and frozen tortellini, and topped it all off with a bit more cheese. My kids are pasta and cheese lovers, so I knew that this would be considered a HUGE improvement. Pie crusts need not apply!
I finished my dish under the broiler for just a few minutes to get the crispy, golden brown cheese on top. That’s how we like it, but it’s certainly not a necessary step. As long as your filling is bubbly and hot and your cheese is melted and gooey, you’re Good.To.Go.
I also love that meals like this can be prepared in advance and then just baked whenever you need a simple and delicious dinner. Plus, everything’s in one dish, so you don’t have to worry about sides, veggies, or bread…which are always kind of an after-thought for me, anyway. Best of all, everyone loves this meal!
[Tweet “A comforting one-dish meal is ready quickly with this #Chicken and Veggie Tortellini #Casserole! #dinner”]
Chicken and Veggie Tortellini Casserole
Yield 6 -8
- 1 (19 ounce) package frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ cups cooked, diced chicken
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook tortellini until just al dente, according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir to cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in broth, milk, salt and thyme and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Allow sauce to cook until it thickens, whisking regularly so that the sauce is smooth (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in cooked pasta, chicken, and frozen vegetables.
- Transfer chicken mixture to prepared dish. Top with mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and heated through (about 20-25 minutes).
Looking for other easy dinner options? Try these favorites: