One skillet meals like this Chicken Sausage and Tortellini make easy dinners a breeze -- with very little clean up at the end! The pasta, the sausage, and the veggies all cook together in a rich Italian sauce for a simple supper that's ready in less than 30 minutes!
Whether you have kids or not, dinner just seems like a tough meal for most of us to pull together. We're tired at the end of the day, rushed if we get home late, and just generally starving and cranky!
Add a fussy baby, roughhousing school-age boys, or an over-tired toddler to the mix and it's no wonder that carry-out pizza or mac and cheese starts to look good.
What if I told you that this one skillet tortellini recipe will come to your rescue -- even when you think the dinnertime cards are stacked against you?! I've tested it myself under the most stressful circumstances, and I can honestly say that it's a WINNER.
One skillet. Less than 30 minutes. Plenty of veggies to assuage any pasta guilt. Aaaaaaand...your roughhousing school-age boys will actually eat it!
So Here's What You Need To Make It - Ingredients
- Chicken Sausage
- Bell Pepper
- Frozen Baby Broccoli
- Fresh Cheese Tortellini
- Marinara Sauce
- Chicken Broth
Made with easy to find ingredients this dish is so comforting and easy to whip up. You can also freeze this minus the mozzarella topping!
No matter what chaotic mess is going on your house at the end of the day, I can guarantee that this Chicken Sausage Tortellini will be on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Best of all, you'll only have one skillet to wash...giving you more time to mop up the floor when your self-taught potty-training-child has left his mark!?
More Tortellini Recipes You Might Like:
- Chicken and Tortellini Salad
- Weeknight Meatball and Tortellini Soup
- Dump and Bake Tortellini Alfredo with Chicken
One Skillet Chicken Sausage Tortellini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 12 ounces fully-cooked chicken sausage sliced into bite-sized rounds (I used Al Fresco Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage)
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen baby broccoli florets, thawed
- 9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini (I used refrigerated Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini)
- 26 ounce jar marinara sauce (about 3.25 cups total)
- ½ cup chicken broth (or water)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish with grated Parmesan, fresh basil, parsley, or thyme, if desired
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat (about 1-2 minutes). Stir in sausage rounds and cook until browned (about 5 minutes). Add pepper, onion, broccoli, tortellini, marinara sauce, and broth (or water). Bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture boils, turn the heat to LOW, cover, and simmer for about 7-9 minutes (or until tortellini is tender). Remove from heat.
- Remove lid, sprinkle mozzarella over the tortellini, and place the lid back on top until the cheese melts (about 1 minute). Garnish with Parmesan and fresh herbs, if desired.