This Ham, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Strata is an easy and healthy make-ahead meal that's perfect for a holiday brunch, a busy weeknight dinner, or a quick breakfast to reheat all week long! Add this overnight breakfast casserole recipe to your Christmas morning menu -- you will NOT be disappointed!
Since we always have Christmas morning brunch at our home, I love to serve delicious breakfast casseroles that can be prepared the night before so that I don't have to worry about cooking on the big holiday.
This is the overnight breakfast casserole that I will be serving this year, and it couldn't be easier (or more delicious)!
So What Is A Breakfast Strata?
If you're not familiar with a "strata," it's basically just a mixture of bread, eggs, and cheese (and it might also include meats or veggies as well). For this particular dish, I borrowed the ingredients from our favorite breakfast sandwich and baked them in casserole form.
The crusty bread soaks in the egg mixture overnight (kind of like a savory French toast), and is tossed together with plenty of melted cheese, ham, and fresh green onions.
This is simple food at its finest, and it makes an ideal brunch, lunch, or dinner option for busy days. Pair it with a fruit salad for a tasty, well-balanced meal.
You can even bake the dish on the weekend and then reheat individual portions for quick breakfasts or lunches throughout the week. You're going to LOVE this one!
Things You Could Add To This Breakfast Strata;
- Smoked sausage
- Cooked bacon
- Any good mild melting cheese
- Leftover veggies such as roast potatoes, bell peppers, onion
Looking for other great brunch casseroles? Try these favorites:
- Baked Western Omelet
- Overnight Ham, Egg and Cheese Monkey Bread
- Ham, Egg and Cheese Crescent Roll Casserole
If you’ve tried this Ham Egg and Cheese Breakfast Strata or any other recipe on The Seasoned Mom then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what I’m getting up to.
Ham Egg and Cheese Breakfast Strata
- 8 ounces sourdough bread cut into ¾-inch cubes (about 6 cups) (I used a whole grain bread, but any version will work)
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces diced cooked ham can substitute with an equal amount of cooked bacon or sausage if preferred
- 1 cup milk I used 2% milk, but whole milk would also work. Just don’t use skim!
- ⅓ cup thinly-sliced green onions
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (about ½ cup)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, or until toasted, stirring halfway through.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk and next 6 ingredients (through eggs).
- In bottom of prepared baking dish, toss together toasted bread and diced ham. Pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F (190°C) for 25 minutes, or until strata is puffed around the edges and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Note: This casserole can be made in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator overnight until ready to bake.