Make Ahead Ham and Cheese Sliders are an easy, freezer-friendly meal that's perfect for busy weeknight dinners, get-togethers with friends, or church potlucks. Best of all, you can assemble the entire recipe in advance and just bake the party sandwiches whenever you need to serve them. It's the perfect solution to casual entertaining!
In addition to a good dip recipe, there's nothing more popular at a tailgate or other gathering than warm, cheesy, and tasty Ham and Cheese Sliders! But you don't need to wait until your next party to serve these little treats -- they're an easy weeknight dinner or Saturday afternoon lunch that appeals to adults and children.
How to Assemble Easy Ham and Cheese Sliders
First, let's prepare the buttery spread that makes this Ham and Cheese Sliders recipe so special!
You'll need: softened (room temperature) butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, grated onion, and poppy seeds
In a small bowl, stir together the softened butter, grated onion, poppy seeds, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
Split open a slider roll and spread the butter mixture on both the top and the bottom of the bun.
Add a slice of deli ham and a small square of cheese. I used about ¼ of a larger cheese slice for each slider.
Replace the top of the bun to close your sandwich, and that's it! Repeat with your remaining ingredients.
Place the sliders in a large baking dish, fitting them closely together so that there aren't gaps in between the sandwiches.
How to Freeze Ham and Cheese Sliders
Once the sandwiches are assembled, you can either cover them with foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 10-15 minutes (just until the cheese melts); OR you can wrap the dish tightly and keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This Ham and Cheese Sliders recipe is SO EASY -- you can bake them directly from the freezer! Simply add a few minutes to the baking time to make sure that the cheese is fully melted.
Can I make these sliders without poppy seeds?
If you don't have poppy seeds in your pantry (or if you just don't care for them), you can certainly omit them from the buttery spread. The sliders will taste delicious, and you don't even need to replace the seeds with something else!
Additional Recipe Variations:
- Add a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar to the butter mixture for a sweet-and-savory sauce (similar to the sauce that I use in these Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders);
- Use Dijon mustard instead of yellow mustard for a zesty "kick;"
- Swap out the ham and turkey for other meats and cheeses. You can try roast beef, chicken, or turkey, or even add a slice of bacon! American cheese, Swiss cheese, and cheddar cheese are all great options, too!
- Grab your favorite style of sliders buns -- I suggest King's Hawaiian Rolls, potato slider buns, or plain dinner rolls.
Make Ahead Ham and Cheese Sliders
- 1 stick butter (½ cup) softened
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ small onion, finely grated
- 1 package (12 rolls) party rolls or slider buns I like King's Hawaiian rolls
- 12 slices thinly sliced deli ham
- 3 slices cheese Swiss, cheddar, or American, cut into 12 squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together butter, mustard, poppy seeds, Worcestershire sauce, and onion.
- Split open a roll and spread butter mixture on the top and bottom of the inside of the roll. Add 1 slice of ham and 1 square of cheese; replace the top of the roll to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place sliders close together in prepared dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese melts.