This recipe for Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders was originally posted in April, 2014. The photos were updated in April, 2018.
If you’re hosting a Kentucky Derby party this year, or if you just like to have sandwiches for dinner sometimes (like us!), I have THE BEST recipe for you! These little Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are incredibly popular in our house, and they make regular appearances at parties throughout the year. They are a must-try!
The traditional Kentucky Hot Brown is an open-face sandwich with turkey and bacon (and sometimes with pimientos or tomatoes), smothered in a Mornay sauce.
What the heck is a Mornay sauce?
It sounds fancy, but it’s basically just a white béchamel sauce with Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses added.
But you know what? Open-face sandwiches coated in creamy sauce are not exactly party-friendly finger food.
Instead, I took the same basic ingredients from the classic sandwich and turned them into something even more delicious.
My version of Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are kid-friendly and can be consumed with your hands — no utensils required!
These Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are stuffed with turkey, bacon, diced pimientos, Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese, and a sprinkle of Parmesan.
As if that’s not delicious enough, they are coated in a sweet, garlic butter sauce that makes them indescribably good.
This recipe makes 12 sliders, but I will warn you — they go FAST. Definitely make more of these little guys than you think you will need. They won’t last long!
Here’s a video to show you just how quick and easy they are!
KENTUCKY HOT BROWN SLIDERS
Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders
Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are a perfect Kentucky Derby party food or easy weeknight dinner!
- 1 pkg. 12 oz King’s Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 12 slices deli turkey
- 12 slices cooked bacon
- 6 slices Gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup diced pimientos or sliced tomatoes
- ½ cup butter cubed
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Assemble one slider by spreading mayonnaise on the bottom of the roll.
- Add a layer of turkey, then bacon (breaking it in half or thirds to fit on the roll), a few diced pimientos (or tomatoes), half a slice of Gruyere, and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Replace the top. Repeat with remaining rolls to assemble a total of 12 sandwiches.
- Arrange sandwiches in a single layer in a greased 9-inch-square baking pan.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Continue whisking until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Pour butter sauce over sandwiches.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for several hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, covered, 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.