This Easy Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Bread recipe was originally posted in April, 2014. The photos have been updated and republished in March, 2017.
If you make one thing for a spring brunch this season, please make this Easy Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Bread. And I emphasize the “EASY.” Plus, there’s a nice story behind the bread, so let me explain.
Last spring my recipe for Carrot Cake Breakfast Bread was such a hit that I knew I should come up with another similar treat this year (if you haven’t tried that bread yet, I highly recommend that you do. Soon!). And when I recently found out at the last minute that I was invited for a coffee with the other Board members at Gibbs’s preschool (and that I should bring some food), I knew that whatever I made should be fast and simple. This Easy Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Bread fit the bill — it came together in about 5 minutes of prep time with very few ingredients, but it tasted as though I had spent a lot longer in the kitchen. Everyone at the coffee loved it!
And so, before I share the actual recipe for this delicious treat, I should tell you what inspired it. A few months ago, I bought a cookbook through a fundraiser at the preschool. This is one of those cookbooks where members of the church and community submit their favorite recipes, which are then compiled into a single book. These tried-and-true dishes from other home cooks are always some of my favorites, and this lemon poppy seed bread is no exception.
As soon as I saw the recipe, I knew that I had to make it (with a few changes of my own, of course!). This particular cookbook is very special, because it is raising money to support the family of local girl named Ellie, who was diagnosed with a rare malignant brain tumor on her second birthday. To learn more about Ellie’s story, you can visit her family’s blog, Life on the Ark.
When I enjoy this fresh, lemon treat I think of Ellie, of her family, and of all of the lives that they have touched. Our children are so precious, and these little recipes, stories, and books serve as friendly reminders to hold those that we love just a bit tighter. They are such blessings.
Please make this Lemon Poppy Seed Bread, share it with your family and friends this year, and do so with Ellie in your hearts!
Easy Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Yield 16 (2 loaves)
- For the bread:
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 ½ Tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 4 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly among the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
- While the bread is still warm, mix together the glaze ingredients. Spoon glaze over top of the bread and allow glaze to set before slicing and serving.