The sweetest, most flavorful veggies to come out of your oven! These Brown Sugar Roasted Carrots are a healthy 5-ingredient side dish that only requires about 10 minutes of prep!
The humble vegetable can get lost in the shuffle when it comes to planning a decadent holiday feast. But not today!
I’m here to tell you that a light, fresh, and simple tray of roasted carrots is the perfect addition to your next meal — and they pair perfectly with an Easter ham!
What’s your favorite spring vegetable?
While we lean towards cheesy broccoli dishes, winter squash, and slow cooker Southern green beans during the winter holidays, the warmer, sunnier, seasonal shift has us reaching for the Easter Bunny’s go-to treat!
And trust me: while these roasted carrots are lighter and zippier than a creamy vegetable casserole, they truly taste like a treat! The roasting process brings out the natural sugars in the vegetables and makes them highly palatable to just about any little diner at your table.
They couldn’t be easier, either! You’ll start with a tray of chopped carrots, which get drizzled with olive oil. Pop those raw carrots in a 400-degree F oven for about 15 minutes to get them cookin’…
While the carrots are in the oven, it’s time to whisk together the brown sugar glaze.
You’ll just need brown sugar, orange juice, and a bit of salt (to balance the sweetness).
You won’t use this whole bowl of glaze for the recipe, but it’s nice to have plenty of extra at the end for a finishing touch!
The roasted carrots get brushed (or drizzled) with the brown sugar mixture, they go back in the oven for about 10 more minutes, and the end result is a beautiful, caramelized, holiday-worthy side dish that only requires about 10 or 15 minutes of hands-on time. Can’t beat that!
Whether you serve them for Easter dinner, or just enjoy them as a light, fresh side with a regular weeknight dinner this season, I hope that you give our favorite roasted carrots a try soon!
BROWN SUGAR ROASTED CARROTS
Brown Sugar Roasted Carrots
- 2 lbs. carrots peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- If the carrots are thick, cut them in half lengthwise; if not, leave whole. Slice the carrots diagonally in 2-inch-thick slices.
- Spread carrots in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together brown sugar, orange juice, and salt in a small bowl until completely combined.
- After 15 minutes, remove carrots from the oven. Brush (or drizzle) brown sugar mixture over the carrots; stir to coat, and return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes (or until browned and tender). You will not need all of the glaze (probably only 1-2 tablespoons will actually be used), so set aside the extra and drizzle a little bit more over the roasted carrots just before serving.
- Season with additional salt, to taste.
Cooking for a Smaller Family? You can cut all of the ingredients in half and only roast 1 lb. of carrots. The roasting instructions remain the same.