Slow Cooker Southern Green Beans are tender, full of flavor, and incredibly easy…making them the perfect side dish for your favorite fall dinners!
[Tweet “Slow Cooker Southern Green Beans are full of flavor from bacon and onion! #recipe #slowcooker #crockpot”]
There’s a bit of a Green Bean Debate out there: namely, whether they should be cooked-to-death-until-they’re-so-tender-they’re-almost-mushy OR whether they’re best when they’re still bright green and just crisp-tender. Personally, I like them both ways…I just consider them two totally different animals. Call it The North versus The South. Today, we’re focused below the Mason-Dixon line!
These are definitely the tender, no-longer-green green beans that I mentioned above, but they are SO good…thanks to that bacon and onion that keeps them company as they simmer slowly in your pot.
I like to use my little 3-quart Crock Pot, which I picked up at Target when it was on sale about a year ago. It cost me about $10, and I use it regularly for weekday side dishes that I want to “set and forget.” That way I don’t end up with an enormous 6-quart slow cooker full of 12 servings of green beans. Instead, it makes the perfect amount for our family. Of course, if you want to feed a crowd on Thanksgiving, that big Crock Pot will come in very handy — just double this recipe!
Slow Cooker Southern Green Beans
Yield 4 -6
- 2 cups chicken broth
- approximately 1 lb. fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion (about 1 onion)
- ½ cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Place ingredients in a 2-3 quart slow cooker. If you prefer to use a larger, 5-6 quart slow cooker, just double the ingredients and make a larger batch.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 6 hours, or on high heat for about 3 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Looking for other great vegetable side dishes? I’ve got you covered! Add some of these favorites to your holiday menu: