A healthy and satisfying dinner can be on the table in just 20 minutes! My Mom's recipe for Red Beans and Rice is a childhood favorite that has stood the test of time. Whether you prepare a vegetarian version or whip up the original with beef, it's a simple meal that the whole family will love!
This is one of those recipes that just totally reminds me of my childhood. My mom served Red Beans and Rice on a regular basis, and now I know why.
It's an easy, quick-prep dinner that comes together in less than 30 minutes (and it tastes like it took MUCH longer)!
This Red Beans and Rice can be prepared ahead of time for those crazy days when you don't want to do anything more than reheat a meal. It's freezer-friendly, and I swear that it just gets better as it sits!
When I recently made a batch of Mom's Red Beans and Rice for dinner, I substituted ground turkey for the beef that she calls for in her original recipe.
We had feasted on French Dip sandwiches the night before, and I just figured a day (or 3) off from red meat was probably a good idea! The turkey worked really well, and so would ground chicken if that's your preference.
Cook's Tips - Red Beans and Rice
- Cooking for Two? This recipe can be cut in half to serve two portions. It also freezes well, so if you prepare an entire recipe you can save half in the freezer for a later date!
- Want to Prep Ahead? You can prepare this meal ahead of time and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Cook the rice just before serving, and reheat the meat and beans.
Variations - Rice And Beans
- Prefer a vegetarian dish? Mom's Red Beans and Rice can easily be made meat-free -- just add an extra can of beans in place of the beef.
- Want a low-carb or healthier version? Try serving the beans over cauliflower rice, brown rice, or quinoa!
- The dinner is so customizable, and the toppings are an added bonus! My boys love to pile their bowls high with a mountain of shredded cheese (of course), while Keith and I love a fresh burst from the green onions and the zip from a dash of hot sauce.
Make the meal your own, and enjoy! It's sure to become a classic in your family as well!
More Delicious Comfort Food Meals To Try;
- Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Cowboy Baked Beans
- Apple Butter Baked Beans
- Southern Chicken and Rice Salad
Mom's 20-Minute Red Beans and Rice
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or can substitute with ground turkey or chicken -- *SEE NOTE for a vegetarian option!
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 15 ounce can pink beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- For serving: cooked rice; shredded cheddar cheese; sliced green onions; sour cream; hot sauce
- In a large skillet, brown meat with onion and garlic. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with rice. Top with cheese, sour cream, green onions, and/or hot sauce.