I love a girl who knows how to throw herself a birthday party, and my good friend Margeaux is just that gal!
Last month Margeaux hosted a cook-out over July 4th weekend in order to celebrate her birthday. She’s a busy working mom with a cool job (selling wine around the country, anyone?!) and an adorable little boy. Her husband’s not too bad, either! Yet despite her jet-setting and crazy-busy life, Margeaux managed to pull together a party full of delicious, homemade food. We enjoyed the classics like hamburgers, hot dogs, and GOOD wine, but she also made her own mac n’ cheese, fruit salad, and coleslaw. Since I’m definitely guilty of buying coleslaw at the deli counter on a very regular basis, I was particularly impressed. This coleslaw is the best that I’ve ever had, so you know that I requested the recipe! I just had to share it with all of you (and enjoy it at home on my own!).
Margeaux and Brian have entertained for us/fed us on more than one occasion, and let me tell you…she knows her way around a kitchen! I still often think about the lasagna and homemade dinner rolls (from scratch! still warm! who does that?) that she delivered to my door shortly after Spence was born last fall. Gifting our family with a tasty, home-cooked comfort meal was definitely the greatest thing that she could have done for us!
But since it’s not lasagna “season” at the moment, I figured it would be far more appropriate to share with you one of Margeaux’s best summer dishes. I promise, it will not disappoint. Oh, and don’t leave out the fresh dill. It really makes the dish!
- 1 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots) -- or, if you're like Margeaux, you can shred your own cabbage and carrots!
- ¾ cup best-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- Fresh dill to taste
- A little squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place coleslaw mix in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour dressing over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Looking for other tasty sides? Check out these favorites:
Corn, Rice, and Pimiento Salad