This recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Barbecue was originally published in April, 2013. The photos were updated in June, 2017.
If you haven’t already noticed, I’m a big fan of my slow cooker. I use it at least once a week because it’s a great time-saver. I throw some ingredients into the pot in the morning, and dinner is hot and waiting for us at the end of the day. It’s like magic!
Another thing that’s like magic? This Slow Cooker Beef Barbecue! It reminds me of the beef barbecue that my mom makes on the stove top – sweet, tender, and full of flavor. Pure comfort food, in my book!
So even though Keith is a master smoker and makes the best smoked barbecue around town, I rely on these sandwiches for a satisfying weeknight meal when my resident Smoke Master is otherwise occupied. And by the way — Keith and the boys totally give this dinner the stamp of approval!
Serve the barbecue sandwiches with coleslaw or salad and potato chips on the side, and your family will be very happy!
If you have left-overs, the meat freezes really well. A good way to switch it up? Stuff the extra barbecue in tacos, in quesadillas, on pizza, or inside a baked potato!
Slow Cooker Beef Barbecue
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 2.5 - 3 lbs.)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 ¾ cups barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional: sandwich buns, split (for serving)
- Place roast in a greased slow cooker (cut in half, if necessary, in order to fit). In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except for buns. Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove meat. Skim any fat from cooking liquid. Shred beef with two forks and return meat to slow cooker. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Place meat on sandwich buns and serve.
Serving Size 1/6 of beef plus 2 tablespoons sauce
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8.4 g
Saturated Fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 83.3 mg
Sodium 309.8 mg
Total Carbohydrates 2.7 g
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 42.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Nutrition Information for 1/6 of the meat (assuming a 2.5-lb. roast) plus 2 tablespoons of sauce.