This Slow Cooker Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken is the answer to your weeknight dinner prayers. Really, it is! The moist, tender, and sweet chicken simmers slowly in a rich barbecue-soy sauce, along with bacon, pineapple, and onion. It tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen, but it only requires about 5 minutes of prep time!
You know those really perfect meals that are not only easy to prepare, but every.single.member of your family loves them, eats them happily, and tells you how great they are? Well, this is one of those dinners. It has become a regular staple in our meal rotation because the flavors just blend really well together. I also love how versatile it is! You can:
1. Enjoy it over some rice (as shown in the photo above);
2. Use it to top a leafy green salad;
3. Make a BBQ Chicken Pizza by spreading the sauce and chicken on top of a pizza crust and adding some shredded cheese;
4. Make Hawaiian BBQ Chicken sandwiches with the meat…this is my boys’ favorite way to have it! Sandwiches are always a winner in our house!
Oh, and if you have any left-overs, they freeze beautifully. Then you can just defrost the meat overnight in the refrigerator, and microwave or reheat on the stove when you’re ready to enjoy. See? I told you it’s perfect!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken
- 1.5 – 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (or a combination of the two)
- Salt and pepper
- 6-10 cooked bacon strips, chopped (plus additional for garnish, if desired)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, and place at the bottom of slow cooker.
- Top chicken with bacon, onion, and pineapple. Pour barbecue sauce and soy sauce over top of everything.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Serve chicken on top of rice, on top of salad, or in sandwich buns. Sprinkle with additional cooked, crumbled bacon if desired.
Looking for other great slow cooker recipes? Try these: