This healthy dish definitely ranks on my family’s Top 10 list of Favorite Dinners. It’s rare when I find one meal that every single child and adult in our house loves, and this Cold Sesame Peanut Noodle Salad is one of those gems (another meal on that list? Chuck Wagon Mac!).
I have loved cold sesame noodle salads for as long as I can remember…my mom even used to bring them home from the grocery store deli as a special lunch treat!
I spent years perfecting my own recipe (the right amount of sesame oil is key), and this is a true winner. It’s especially perfect in the warm summer months when a hot pasta dish is not very appealing. I serve mine with a side of my Chinese Coleslaw, and the flavors pair perfectly.
This dinner just goes to show that we should never assume that our children will not like a meal before we even offer it! The first time I served this, Gibbs marched up to the dinner table, said “I don’t want that for dinner,” and asked for mac and cheese. We told him that he could eat the dinner that was served, or he could go without food for the rest of the evening. Guess what? He sat down and finished three helpings of the noodle salad!
This dish is best when it’s refrigerated for at least an hour before serving, so make it in the morning or during your child’s nap and you’ll be very happy at the end of the day!
Is someone in your house allergic to peanuts? I’ve made this recipe using almond butter and chopped almonds instead of the peanuts and it still tastes delicious! Vegetarians? Just leave out the chicken! You can also vary the amounts of each vegetable to make sure that you have the most of what your family loves. Have fun with the recipe and enjoy!
Cold Sesame Peanut Noodle Salad
- For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- For the Pasta
- 12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, cooked according to package instructions and cooled to room temperature (or refrigerated)
- 9 ounces cooked oven-roasted chicken, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper (or ½ of a large pepper), chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- For the sauce, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
- For the salad, combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Pour sauce over top and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least one hour, or until ready to serve. Garnish with chopped peanuts just before serving.
Looking for other delicious salads? Try these favorites: