I like to include protein in just about all of my meals and snacks, which helps me to stay full longer. If I can squeeze in a serving of veggies at the same time, better yet. But you know what’s just as important as finding a healthy, protein-rich meal? Making sure that it tastes good and that it comes together easily! These Egg and Veggie Muffins are a delicious Clean Eating Breakfast or Snack, which meets all of my criteria!
One of my most popular blog posts ever has been my Egg and Cheese Mini Muffins, which I developed for my kids years ago. Think of these muffins as just a grown up version of the minis!
The idea for this particular meal came from my friend Monica, who is an amazingly healthy cook and clean eater. She has two kids about the same ages as mine, and she manages to pack their little bodies full of healthy proteins, fats, fruits, and veggies by making it all taste delicious.
Here she is with Nora!
And since I’m on a mission to include even more healthy meals in our family’s diet, I asked Monica to share some of her family’s favorites with us. Little did I know that she would send me a virtual cookbook full of tried-and-true, kid-approved clean eating recipes. She has so many great ideas, in fact, that you will continue to see her recipes on here for awhile to come. After all, the meals that are tested by friends always turn out the best, right?
The recipe that Monica originally gave me was for Egg White and Zucchini Muffins. I ended up altering the recipe significantly, just because I wanted to use the ingredients that I had on hand. I was so pleased with the way they turned out, that I’m sharing them with you today!
And you know what’s nice about these “muffins”? They freeze really well! Just wrap them individually in a zip-top bag and pull them out as you need them. A few seconds in the microwave should get them toasty and warm again!
Egg and Veggie Muffins
- 4 whole eggs + 4 additional egg whites
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ of a carrot, grated
- ½ of a red bell pepper, diced
- ½ of a small zucchini, grated
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat 8 muffin cups with liners and cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, toss together all of the vegetables.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Use a 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop egg mixture into each of the muffin cups, filling each cup to the top.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with about ½ - 1 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake muffins for 30 minutes, or until puffy, golden, and cooked through.
Looking for other healthy and delicious breakfast recipes? Try these favorites: