Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
This light, healthy, and fresh Southwestern Chicken Ramen Salad is an easy side dish for cookouts or picnics, a simple make-ahead dinner, or an easy lunch to keep on hand. Loaded with veggies and dressed in a homemade Southwestern Lime Vinaigrette, it’s a flavorful dish that’s full of satisfying tastes and textures!
Have you guys ever tried that Asian-flavored ramen coleslaw that seems to be pretty popular? I first had it at a church potluck about 10 years ago, and I’ve been making my own version ever since. It’s really good, but I don’t love the fact that the dressing is made with the weird ingredients from the Ramen Noodle seasoning packet — homemade dressing is always BEST.
That’s why I decided to change up the recipe and give it some Southwestern flair — which is always a popular way to go, right? Best of all, this recipe uses my own Southwestern Lime Vinaigrette (which is just as easy as using the seasoning packet…minus any MSG!), and it’s a total crowd-pleaser!
Top Tip For Making This Ramen Salad
Adding chicken to the dish is totally optional, but it gives a nice protein boost and makes the salad feel more like a total meal rather than just a side option. I live with 4 carnivorous boys, though, so take that with a grain of salt. If you don’t do meat as much as my family does, some extra beans would be a perfect substitute!
You’re going to love the crunch of the ramen noodles and the almonds, mixed with the creamy avocado and the fresh, crisp veggies! I took this to a recent cookout with friends and it was definitely a hit!
Happy picnicking, friends!
Looking for other great picnic dishes for the season? Try these favorites:
- Chicken Taco Mason Jar Salads
- Light and Creamy Greek Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Pretzel Fluff
- Tomato Pie
If you’ve tried this Southwest Chicken Ramen Salad or any other recipe on The Seasoned Mom then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what I’m getting up to.
Southwestern Chicken Ramen Salad
- 2 packages 14 ounces each coleslaw mix
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- ½ cup corn kernels frozen, canned, or fresh
- ½ cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 6 green onions chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages 3 ounces each ramen noodles, seasoning packets discarded
- ½ cup slivered almonds toasted
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, chicken, corn, black beans, avocado, bell pepper, and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients: olive oil, cider vinegar, lime juice, honey, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Crumble ramen noodles (uncooked) into small crunchy pieces. Discard ramen seasoning packet.
- Just before serving, stir in noodles and almonds.