With only about 10 minutes of prep (and no cooking!) you can prepare these healthy Chicken Taco Mason Jar Salads to keep in your refrigerator for a busy week ahead! Whether you serve them as portable lunches or last-minute dinners, these salads are loaded with fresh veggies, plenty of cheese, and almost 40 grams of protein for a nutritious and satisfying meal at any time of day!
Have you jumped on the salad-in-a-jar bandwagon yet? If not, let me introduce you to your new favorite prep-ahead option for the warm weather months!! By strategically layering a variety of fresh and tasty ingredients, you can prepare an entire salad in advance (dressing included)…and it won’t even be soggy the next day!
In my opinion, the key to creating a hearty salad that actually tastes like a meal is to choose a wide variety of flavors and textures that will fill you up and keep you going. I always want plenty of spice, plenty of filling fresh veggies, some crunch, something creamy, and plenty of lean protein. THAT is the recipe for a perfect entree!
By far, my favorite ingredient in this particular dish is the Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican. We use this in quesadillas, in regular tacos, in taco salads, in casseroles, and in just about anything else that calls for shredded cheese. In fact, if I let them, my boys will eat it straight-up by the handful! I just don’t love the mess on the floor afterwards…
The blend is rich, creamy, and an easy way to add delicious Mexican flavor to my cooking — thanks to the off-the-block freshness of the Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, and Asadero cheeses. After all, when I’m making a meal that’s full of fresh veggies and seasonal produce, I also want my cheese and other ingredients to be as fresh as possible. And since I can easily grab the Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican on my regular shopping trips at Kroger, it has become a staple in my kitchen.
Enjoy this perfectly portable, picnic-friendly meal that everyone will love!!
[Tweet “Fresh, easy, and CHEESY: #Chicken Taco Mason Jar #Salads!”]
Chicken Taco Mason Jar Salads
For the dressing:
- ½ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt can substitute with mayonnaise or sour cream
- ½ cup taco sauce can substitute with your favorite salsa, but it will create a thicker and chunkier dressing, so you may need to thin it with a little bit of water or milk
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 12 ounces cooked diced Southwestern-seasoned chicken (I find this in the refrigerated section of my grocery store, but you can substitute with any cooked chicken that you season with a little bit of taco seasoning or southwest seasoning)
- 1 cup black beans from a 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn can use fresh, frozen, or canned & drained
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup 4 ounces Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican
- 4 16 ounce/pint-size wide-mouth jars*
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl until completely combined.
- Place an equal amount of dressing at the bottom of each jar.
- Divide remaining ingredients among the jars, layering in the following order: chicken, black beans, corn, cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. Twist on the top to seal your salads and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When you’re ready to eat, just dump the jar onto a large plate or bowl and enjoy!
*If you want extra room for even more lettuce at the top, I suggest bumping it up to a quart-size jar.
Look for Specially Marked Packages of Sargento® Shredded Cheese for $1 Savings at your local Kroger.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento®. The opinions and texts are all mine.