Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Nothing beats a cozy, tender Classic Pot Roast with Vegetables and Gravy on a cool evening! This simple slow cooker pot roast recipe is the easiest and most delicious way to prepare a beef roast — and it’s perfect in the oven, too!
Whether or not you consider yourself a cook, I can assure you that it’s virtually impossible to mess up this Oven or Slow Cooker Pot Roast! There are no fancy chef skills or techniques required, and it comes out perfectly every time.
I think of this dinner as the ideal Sunday supper. Just imagine: you’re sitting by the fire, watching football, warm under a blanket, and hanging out with friends or family for the afternoon.
While you relax on the couch, take a nap, or play with your kids, the aroma of a rich, tender, and juicy pot roast wafts through the air. Your dinner basically cooks itself for a couple of hours while you enjoy some downtime!
Ingredients You Need To Make A Classic Pot Roast
- Beef chuck roast
- Condensed mushroom soup
- Dry onion soup mix
When your family is ready to come together around the table for a hearty meal at the end of the day, your slow cooker pot roast, veggies, and gravy will be waiting for you.
Add a crusty loaf of bread or even more mashed potatoes on the side — something to soak up the juices — and you’ve got a nourishing and comforting dinner to share with loved ones.
Making A Classic Pot Roast In The Slow Cooker
If you plan to be out of the house at work or running errands and you would rather use your Crock Pot to prepare the pot roast, that’s definitely an option! I’ve included instructions for the slow cooker pot roast below, too.
And while I like to sear the roast in a pan for tons of added flavor before it goes in the oven (or Crock Pot), that step is not mandatory. If you prefer to just dump-and-bake the ingredients, that will work! Keep it simple and enjoy the easiest, coziest pot roast that you’ll ever taste!
More Roasts You Might Like:
- 4-ingredient pork loin roast
- Amish chuck roast recipe
- Garlic and herb roast turkey breast
- Roasted pork tenderloin with apples
Classic Pot Roast Recipe with Vegetables and Gravy
Classic Pot Roast with Vegetables and Gravy (oven or slow cooker)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 2-3 lb. boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 10.5 ounce cans condensed golden mushroom soup (NOT diluted)
- 1 1 ounce envelope dry onion soup and dip mix (just the dry seasoning)
- 2 cups water
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 6 carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 sweet onions peeled and halved
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place meat in the pot and sear it for about 1 minute on each side, until browned all over.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together condensed soup, dry onion soup mix, and water. Pour sauce over the meat.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onions, and herbs to the pot. Cover and bake in the oven for about 2 hours (for a 3-lb. roast). The roast is done when it’s fall-apart tender!
Note: The nutrition information is hard to calculate for this recipe, since it includes all of the gravy in the pot, plus all of the potatoes, carrots, and onions. In reality, you likely will not consume all of the extra ingredients in the pot, so nutritional information will vary greatly!