Loaded with plenty of fresh herbs, garlic, and Mediterranean flavor, these Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros are a healthy 10-minute dinner for your busiest days! The juicy, tender chicken is delicious when stuffed in a pita, piled high on rice, or tossed in a salad. And thanks to plenty of customizable toppings, it’s a meal that everyone at the table can enjoy!
When I was growing up, my mom prepared almost all of our dinners at home. She’s a great cook, there weren’t a lot of restaurant options nearby, and it certainly saved us money. But when we needed something fast, or when Mom was gone from the house all day and didn’t have an opportunity to get supper made, we had a few favorite options that we turned to: Chinese food, pizza, and a little Greek diner that sold the best gyros. Oh my gosh, the Tzatziki sauce on those gyros was to-die-for!
Since the whole family loved that Mediterranean cuisine, my mom quickly learned how to grill her own Greek-style chicken and how to stir together her own garlic-cucumber-yogurt sauce for an Americanized version of our favorite restaurant gyros.
Today, I’ve taken it one step further. I’ve turned a childhood favorite into weeknight gyros that I can serve my own family with just 10 minutes of prep!
Admittedly, these are not authentic Greek gyros. I’m not shaving meat off the spit; I’m not whipping up my own Tzatziki; and I’m certainly not baking fluffy, soft flatbread in my oven. But you know what? This dinner is so full of fresh, healthy, Mediterranean ingredients that nobody cares if they are technically “real” gyros. They’re just really good and really easy.
For those of you with picky eaters at home, this is a great way to keep the entire family happy at the table. Just set out the toppings on the counter and let everyone design their own gyros to suit individual tastes. It’s a simple mealtime solution that will make your life just a little bit easier!
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red onion sliced (plus additional for serving, if desired)
- 4 large carrots peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 lemon halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Olive oil about 1 tablespoon, salt, and pepper
- For serving: pita bread or rice or salad; Tzatziki sauce; feta cheese; sliced red onion; sliced olives; sliced tomatoes; lettuce; sliced cucumber
- Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag. Drizzle with olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Add oregano, basil, thyme, and garlic to the bag. Seal the bag, toss to coat the chicken. You can let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (or overnight), or you can just use it right away.
- Place onion, carrots, and lemon halves in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with chicken and herbs from the bag.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4-6 hours, or on high for about 2-3 hours. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Chop chicken or shred with a fork before serving.
- Pile the chicken on top of pita bread, rice, or salad. Garnish with Tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, olives, and fresh veggies.