You only need 10 minutes to prepare this Slow Cooker Chicken Chili, which simmers in the Crock Pot all day for a convenient and easy weeknight dinner!
Does your family love Mexican food as much as mine does? We never make our meals too spicy, so even the two-year-old adores quesadillas, tacos, burritos, and enchiladas. That's why I know that it's a safe bet when I combine the same familiar flavors in a new or unexpected way...like in this Chicken Chili!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is a flavorful, cozy meal that appeals to both children and adults. It works well as a family dinner, but it's also a nice option for a casual party or a get-together with friends.
Just leave the slow cooker on your countertop, set the toppings, chips, and salsa out on the side, and let your guests build their own bowls. It's fun, it can be made in advance, and it allows you to focus on your loved ones (and your mile-long "to do" list)!
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
A simple slow cooker recipe is SUCH a lifesaver on busy days, right? Just stir together some raw ingredients and let the Crock Pot do the rest of the work!
Really, that's it! I keep the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours so I can get on with my day while our dinner simmers away and is ready when we need it.
Just before serving I dice or shred the chicken so everybody gets lots of chicken in their bowl. Serve and add your favorite toppings, here are some suggestions.
- Green Onions
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
This particular chili recipe is especially convenient for working moms or for those parents who are out of the house for most of the day. Since it has a long cooking time (8 hours+), you can prep your dinner in the morning and come home in the evening to a meal that's ready to eat. Just chop or shred the chicken, garnish with your favorite toppings, and serve!
Can You Freeze This Chicken Chili?
Yes, you can freeze this chili in two ways.
To Freeze Before Cooking
Combine all ingredients in a large zip-top freezer bag. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to cook, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Empty ingredients into slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Just before serving, dice or shred the chicken. Garnish with optional toppings and serve.
Freeze After Cooking
Once cooled freeze this chili in suitable containers, thaw, and heat until piping hot right through for about 15 minutes.
More Delicious Chili Recipes You Might Like:
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (you can also use breasts if you prefer)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 4 teaspoons garlic
- 1 cup mild enchilada sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sliced green onion, sour cream
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Just before serving, dice or shred the chicken. Garnish with optional toppings and serve.
FOR FREEZER MEAL OPTION:
- Combine all ingredients in a large zip-top freezer bag. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to cook, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Empty ingredients into slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Just before serving, dice or shred the chicken. Garnish with optional toppings and serve.