Everyone needs a healthy Crock Pot dinner to turn to for busy evenings, and this Slow Cooker Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya is just the answer! Full of lean protein, veggies, and whole grains, it’s a clean eating dinner recipe that will fill you up, keep you cozy, and add some spice to your evening!
Hi, friends! Since the weather is still chilly, and my life is still busy (SHOCKER?!), I’m back today to share another simple and healthy comfort food recipe! What more could we ask for, right?
A traditional jambalaya typically includes sausage of some sort, but I kept this particular recipe easy and light with just the addition of chicken and shrimp. Don’t worry — plenty of Cajun seasoning means that you won’t miss any of that flavor that you love!
Enjoy it over rice, or serve it straight up in a bowl…either way, this a soul-warming dinner that you’ll love to make again and again!
[Tweet “Try this Slow Cooker Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya for a #healthy weeknight #dinner! #FitFluential”]
Slow Cooker Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup 2 stalks sliced celery
- 2 large onions diced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 ounces about 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined cooked shrimp I use frozen shrimp that I thaw in the refrigerator overnight
- For serving: 4 cups cooked brown or white rice
- Optional: fresh parsley for garnish
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In slow cooker, stir together chicken, celery, onions, bell pepper, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, garlic, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours (or on high for 2 hours).
- Just before serving, stir in shrimp until heated through. Serve over rice and garnish with parsley.