You only need one pot and about 10 minutes of prep for this easy Dump-and-Bake Sausage and Cabbage Dinner! The hands-off recipe is a cozy and delicious meal for busy nights!
Maybe it's the Russian and Polish blood running through my veins, but I just love cabbage! If you appreciate the slightly sweet, nutritious, crunchy veggie as much as I do, then you've come to the right place...
How to Prepare this Easy Sausage and Cabbage Dinner:
Time is precious, and very few of us have the luxury of spending hours in the kitchen each night to get dinner on the table for our family. That's where a simple one pot meal like this kielbasa and cabbage comes in!
You can literally slice the ingredients, dump them in a pot, and basically forget about them for the next 45 minutes. Don't you just love that idea?
I used my biggest Dutch oven to accommodate all of the raw cabbage, onion, potatoes, sliced kielbasa, and diced tomatoes. It looks full, but don't worry -- the vegetables will shrink drastically as they cook!
Step #2: Prepare the Sauce for your Sausage and Cabbage Dinner.
Just whisk together balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, and tomato soup to form a basic sauce. Dump it into the pot, cover with a lid, and stick the pot in the oven to bake for about 45 minutes (or until the veggies are tender).
I like to stir my pot about halfway through, just to ensure even cooking.
The next thing you know, you'll have a warm, comforting dinner to serve your family -- and boy is it good.
This flavor combination reminds me a lot of my Polish grandmother's stuffed cabbage rolls (which I turned into a dump-and-bake casserole), but my version is obviously SO MUCH EASIER.
Cooking cabbage doesn't have to be difficult or time-consuming!
Whether it's a Sunday supper that you serve to your family on a lazy fall evening, or just a quick throw-together weeknight meal at the end of a busy work day, I have no doubt that this Dump-and-Bake Sausage and Cabbage Dinner will suit your schedule, your lifestyle, and your tastebuds.
It might just remind you of your grandmother, too!
You might also enjoy these cabbage recipes:
- Fried Cabbage with Apples and Onion
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Patch Detox Soup
- Dump-and-Bake Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Casserole
- Dump-and-Bake Corned Beef and Cabbage
Dump-and-Bake Sausage and Cabbage Dinner
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 red potatoes, peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (13 ounce) package smoked kielbasa sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite-diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup condensed tomato soup, NOT diluted
- For garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large Dutch oven (or other oven-safe pot) with cooking spray.
- Place cabbage, onion, potatoes, sausage, garlic, salt, and diced tomatoes in the pot.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, and condensed soup. Pour over cabbage mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Cover with a lid and bake for 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. I like to stir the pot halfway through the cooking time just to ensure even cooking.
- Garnish with parsley just before serving.