My Mom’s Easy Marinated Flank Steak is a childhood favorite that is still one of the best dinners that I know how to make! Whether you grill your beef outside, use an indoor grill, or broil it in the oven, this simple marinade creates a tender and juicy steak that children and adults adore!
You guys…THIS is my absolute favorite way to eat steak! I still have vivid memories of loving this recipe as a child, and that has not changed one bit now that I’m serving it to my own family. And I’m not sure what I like most — the taste, or the easy prep!
[Tweet “Mom’s Easy Marinated Flank #Steak is a fast #dinner #recipe that kids and adults adore!”]
Remember how I recently shared my dump-and-bake Champagne Risotto and I suggested that it would be a great option to serve for a fancy Valentine’s Day dinner at home? Well, my friends, this steak is the other half of that meal! I promise, if you spoil your family with that risotto and this meat for a special holiday, they will really know how much you love them!
Now, I’m not someone who typically loves red meat. In fact, if it wasn’t for the 4 carnivorous boys that I live with, I could very easily become a vegetarian. BUT, that doesn’t mean that I can’t appreciate a good piece of steak when I taste one. And even die-hard New York Strip fans (like Keith), who typically scoff at the lowly flank steak, will be converted into believers after a bite of this dinner. It’s seriously that good.
I think that the beef is tasty served with rice (like risotto) or with potatoes, but we have also enjoyed it stuffed into soft tacos with some shredded lettuce, green onion, and fresh tomato. Steak sandwiches? It works well there, too. This is a very versatile marinade that appeals to even picky kids’ palates, and it results in a really delicious steak. I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do!
Mom's Easy Marinated Flank Steak
- For the Marinade:
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar (can substitute with balsamic vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger powder
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup canola oil
- Approximately 2 lbs. flank steak
- 4 chopped green onions
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients until completely combined.
- Place steak in a deep dish or in a large Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over steaks, add green onions, and cover (or seal bag) and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, prepare your grill for high.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and place steak on the hot grill. Dispose of marinade. Grill for about 4-6 minutes per side, or until done to your liking (a meat thermometer should read 125 to 130°F for rare, 140°F for medium rare, and 150°F for medium).
- When the steak has cooked to your preferred level of doneness, remove from the grill and place on a cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil to hold in the heat while the steak rests for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut the steak across the grain of the meat, at a steep diagonal, so that the slices are wide. A serrated knife works best for this.
- Alternate Cooking Method in Oven (Broiled):
- Preheat broiler. Remove steak from marinade and place on broiler pan. Broil 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board to rest for about 10 minutes until slicing and serving.
If you’re curious, here are the nutritional stats for the steak alone (based on 6 servings):
and here are the details for 1 tablespoon of marinade (remember, most of the marinade gets poured off when you grill the steak):
For a complete meal, don’t forget to add these awesome sides:
Crispy Oven-Roasted Seasoned Potatoes (<-- one of Keith's favorites!)