Whole wheat biscuits made with nutritious Greek yogurt that your family will devour? I know that it sounds too good to be true, but I’ve perfected the recipe for these Italian Herb & Parmesan Greek Yogurt Biscuits and I am sharing my secrets with you. Trust me, these healthy biscuits are 100% kid-approved and they only take 10 minutes to prepare!
I’ve said on here before that my family members are definitely my willing victims when it comes to taste testing new recipes. When they smell the aroma of freshly baked muffins, cookies, or (in this case) biscuits, they often hang around the kitchen, waiting for me to finish snapping some photos. They know that they have to wait until I’m done before they can chow down!
Well apparently Gibbs (my five-year-old) thought that these smelled pretty darn good! He didn’t leave my side as I took my photos, and then as soon as he saw me put my lens cap back on my camera, his little paw reached onto the tray, grabbed a biscuit, and jammed it in his mouth. He gave it two thumbs up!
Then he asked for another biscuit for dinner that night. And the following night. And he finally told me (after about biscuit #4) that when he grows up, marries Kyra (his friend from school who thinks he’s “sweet”), and has a family of his own, he will cook and eat these biscuits every.single.day. Now that’s a ringing endorsement, isn’t it?!
I’m glad that my family approves of these biscuits…I didn’t even bother to mention that they’re made with whole wheat and Greek yogurt so that they’re actually healthy! That’s a little detail that the boys don’t need to focus on, but it sure makes this mom happy!
These whole wheat biscuits come together in about 10 minutes, and they also freeze nicely. They are great to have on hand for those nights when you need a last-minute side item to accompany a Chicken Parmesan Bake or this delicious and amazingly-easy Baked Italian Shrimp. Just a few seconds in the microwave makes them warm and fresh again! Oh, and Gibbs would suggest that you slather some butter on a warm biscuit for optimal results!
Italian Herb & Parmesan Greek Yogurt Biscuits
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons water or milk plus more as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or parchment. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, Parmesan cheese, salt, baking soda, Italian seasoning, and baking powder. Add Greek yogurt and water and mix gently until a soft dough forms. You want to be able to shape the dough into a ball, so use additional water if the dough is too dry.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead a few times.
- Pat or roll out dough to ½ or ¾-inch thickness. I just use my hands to gently press and shape the dough – no rolling pin necessary!
- Cut into rounds using a biscuit cutter or a juice glass.
- For crisp biscuits, place far apart on baking sheet. For fluffier biscuits, place them close together on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Looking for other delicious baked goods? Try these favorites: