As promised, I have another healthy meal to share with you this month! This Healthy Slow Cooker Gumbo may be good for you, but I promise it also tastes delicious. Packed with flavor, even my four-year-old said “I like your spices, Mom.” That’s high praise for this zesty stew, which simmers in your crock pot for hours while you go about your afternoon!
Full of protein and veggies, this comforting meal is the perfect answer to a busy winter day. The chicken, shrimp, and sausage provide plenty of filling flavor, and when you serve it over a big pile of rice, even your kids are sure to love it. The fact that it’s healthy is just an added bonus!
Healthy Slow Cooker Gumbo
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 13 oz. turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 lb. cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped, divided
- Rice, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Sprinkle flour in a cast iron skillet. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Place sausage and chicken in a slow cooker; add tomatoes and next 7 ingredients.
- Whisk together browned flour and chicken broth until smooth. Pour into slow cooker. Stir everything together, cover, and cook on high for 5 hours.
- Stir in shrimp and half of the green onions. Cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes, stirring once. Discard bay leaves before serving. Garnish with remaining green onions. Serve over rice.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living.
Looking for other great slow cooker dinners? Try these:
Linking up to the Monday Funday Link Party!
Linking up to Totally Posted Tuesdays!
Joining the Show Me What Ya Got link party!
Joining the Life Created Link Party!
Linking up to Wow Me Wednesday!
Sharing on Live, Laugh, Linky Thursday!
Joining the Pinworthy Projects link party!
Linking up to Family Fridays!
Sharing at the What’s Shakin’ Link Party!
Joining the Strut Your Stuff Saturday link party!