With just 5 minutes of prep and 5 ingredients, this Dump-and-Bake Cream of Mushroom Chicken is an easy dinner recipe for busy nights! Spoon the rich, creamy sauce over the tender chicken and buttered noodles for a cozy, comforting dish that will soon become a family favorite!
Fall calls for comfort food, and this simple and nourishing Cream of Mushroom Chicken is the perfect solution! Kind of like a warm hug on a cold evening, it’s a soul-satisfying supper that kids adore!
This is another one of those awesome recipes that came from a blog reader! When someone sends me a note and tells me that a particular dish is a family-favorite that has been enjoyed for decades, I know that it must be a winner. Helen’s Dump-and-Bake Cream of Mushroom Chicken (or “Sour Cream Chicken” as she calls it) is no exception!
I first “met” Helen when she participated in my free 5-Day Meal Planning Challenge group (you can still join the challenge HERE if you’re interested). She mentioned this Cream of Mushroom Chicken dish, and said that it was always a favorite with her children. As adults, her daughters still request the meal when they return to Helen’s kitchen!
It’s just a delicious dinner that has stood the test of time, and I’m so grateful that Helen was willing to share it with all of us. The recipe brings back so many fond memories for her family, and it has become a favorite in my house as well!
Helen suggests that you serve the Cream of Mushroom Chicken with buttered noodles and steamed broccoli — so that’s exactly what I’ve done!
I hope that you enjoy the meal as much as Helen’s family always has, and I’d love to hear about your family’s favorite recipes as well! Sharing is caring!
Dump-and-Bake Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- 1 whole cut-up chicken or chicken pieces of choice you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead*
- 1 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup (NOT diluted)
- 1 1 ounce packet dry onion soup mix (just the dry seasoning)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional garnish: paprika and fresh parsley
- For serving: buttered noodles and steamed broccoli
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place chicken in prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl stir together mushroom soup, onion soup mix seasoning, sour cream, and lemon juice. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour (cooking time will depend on the size and type of chicken pieces that you’re using). Give the sauce a good stir in the dish and serve over buttered noodles with steamed broccoli -- just like Helen suggests!
*I used 5 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts that totaled about 3.5 lbs.
Cooking for a smaller family? Just cut the sauce ingredients in half, use just as much chicken as you need (about 1 lb.), and prepare the dinner in an 8-inch square baking dish.
Need some help planning your family’s meals? When you join Simply Mailed, I will send you 3 quick-prep dinner recipes and a grocery shopping list each week (for less than $1 per week!!!). This super-affordable service takes the stress out of dinner, saves you time and money, and brings your family together at the end of the day. There are even options for smaller households of just 1 or 2!