The kids are waiting anxiously at the top of the stairs, anticipation building, while they do their best to contain the excitement. As the aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafts through the house and warm, gooey, Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread puffs in the oven, the stage is set.
Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread Is Perfect For Christmas Morning!
On Christmas morning, all my boys want to do is RACE down the steps to discover the goodies that Santa has delivered; yet they have learned that there’s a process involved…and it takes time. After all, this is the best day of the year — and tradition rules the roost. In the same way that my parents made me and my siblings wait upstairs on Christmas morning until the coffee was brewing and the camera was ready, my children are forced to be patient, to wait, and to just focus on the moment.
When all is ready and the kids finally get the green light, they make their way down to the Christmas tree to find that (once again) the magic of the season has arrived in their own home. As a parent, experiencing the joy and excitement through my children is more rewarding than it even was the first time around!
And when the stockings have been sorted and unwrapped, we take a pause in the gift-giving process to come together around the table and enjoy a meal as a family. Breakfast on Christmas morning is never fancy or time consuming, but it’s always special. And since there’s no time for cooking (I’d rather be with the kids!), I need to serve a dish that comes together the night before so that I can just pop it in the oven when we want to eat. Sometimes I go with a savory egg casserole, but the true favorites are always sweet treats like pastries, muffins, or monkey bread!
Instead of a more traditional monkey bread that uses biscuit dough and is baked in a bundt pan, I added a holiday twist by using cinnamon roll dough that’s baked in a casserole dish (making it easier to serve, in my opinion). You get chunks of pecan cinnamon roll in every bite, which are coated in ooey, gooey, caramel on the bottom and drizzled with frosting on the top. Seriously…does it get any better?
The monkey bread comes together in just 10 minutes, it can sit in the refrigerator overnight (or you can bake it immediately), and it will be warm from the oven 30 minutes later — at exactly the time your kids finish digging through their stockings and the hunger pangs strike! This crowd-pleasing breakfast casserole is a holiday morning treat that just might set the stage for one of your family’s favorite traditions, too!
If you’ve tried this Overnight Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread or any other recipe on The Seasoned Mom then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what I’m getting up to.
Overnight Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
With only 10 minutes prep this overnight cinnamon roll monkey bread is a simple and delicious crowd pleaser.
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cans 12.4 ounces each refrigerated cinnamon roll dough
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup 1 ½ sticks butter, melted
- Spray a large (13 x 9-inch) baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Separate cinnamon rolls and cut each roll into quarters (reserve the icing packets for later). Add the dough to the bowl and toss in the cinnamon and sugar until each piece is lightly coated. Place in the prepared dish.
- Sprinkle dough with pecans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar and melted butter until sugar dissolves. Pour over the dough.
- If prepping ahead, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake the next day. Then allow the dish to sit on the counter for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature before proceeding with baking instructions below. If you prefer, you can bake immediately after preparing.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and dough is cooked through.
- Drizzle icing over hot monkey bread and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy warm!