My great Aunt Bee has been hosting southern cocktail parties for years, and this is one of her all-time favorite appetizer recipes! Loaded with cheese, sausage, pimento, and mild green chiles, these Sausage and Cheese Squares are an easy, make-ahead finger food that's perfect for any occasion!
Hello, hello! It's holiday party season, no?
If you're headed to a festive gathering or a New Year's Eve potluck in the coming weeks, then you MUST give these little bites a try. In fact, even if you are not hosting a party, you should still bake a batch of these cheesy nibbles! They're perfect for serving with brunch, lunch, or dinner, too!
You've probably heard me rave about Aunt Bee over the years, as I love to share her simple, tried-and-true recipes that she has passed along to me. This is another one of those classics that everyone should have in their repertoire.
The squares are packed with so much cheese, you'll love to just pop 'em in your mouth one-by-one...until the tray is almost gone!
Trust me...nobody can resist the flecks of pimento, green chile, and litte bites of sausage that make their way into each and every one of these tasty cheese squares. Hey, just add a glass of wine and it's a complete meal, right?! Just kidding. Kind of.
Sausage and Cheese Squares - Variations;
- Try added different sausage such as spicy or smoked sausage
- These cheese squares are a great way of using up leftover veg, try adding roast potatoes, zucchini, onions etc
- Any good mild melting cheese would work well in this recipe
- You could also add cooked bacon or ham
- Add fresh herbs such as basil
Looking for some other great party food? Try these favorites:
- Slow Cooker Mesquite Smokehouse Snack Mix
- Lightened-Up Spinach, Artichoke & Chicken Crescent Ring
- Aunt Bee's Spinach and Cheese Squares
If you’ve tried My Aunt Bee's Sausage and Cheese Squares or any other recipe on The Seasoned Mom then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what I’m getting up to.
Aunt Bee's Sausage and Cheese Squares
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose baking mix such as Bisquick
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes of hot sauce such as Tabasco
- ½ lb. roll sausage such as a bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 12 ounces grated Cheddar cheese about 3 cups
- 12 ounces grated Monterey Jack cheese about 3 cups
- 2 4 ounce cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 4 ounce jar sliced pimento, drained
- Brown sausage in skillet until no longer pink; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together baking mix, milk, eggs, salt, and hot sauce. Stir in cooked sausage, cheeses, chiles, and pimento.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing into bite-sized squares. Serve immediately, or wrap tightly and store in freezer or refrigerator until ready to use.
- Note: These are delicious served at room temperature or warm. If you make these in advance and you would like to reheat them to serve them warm, just thaw (if frozen), cover with foil, and place in a 350°F (180°C) oven until heated through (10-15 minutes).