Well, folks...summer is almost here. And like most moms, I have very mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I'm looking forward to a more relaxed, flexible schedule and some extra time with my big guy. On the other hand, I'm dreading those endless afternoons of "I'm bored...," or "I have nothing to do...," or just generally stirring up mischief.
That's why I took it upon myself to pull together this ultimate list of Easy Summer Activities for Toddlers and Little Kids! This will be my lifeline (and yours) over the next few months.
I have included some of our favorite outdoor and indoor activities, as well as some great ideas from other bloggers that I can't wait to try myself. I know that I will refer to this list again and again as I'm working hard to fill my boys' schedules this summer. Whether it's a beautiful afternoon outside, a dreary rainy morning, or just a scorching hot day, there is something here for everyone and for every occasion. Have fun!
1. Sand Art
2. Make Your Own Sand Slime (from Growing a Jeweled Rose)
3. Little Kids' Sports Course
4. Simple Letter Activities to Do Outside with Sidewalk Chalk (from No Time for Flash Cards)
6. Aim at a Bullseye Using Wet Sponges (from Mamas Like Me)
7. Paint with Ice
8. Make Your Own Sidewalk Chalk (from Domestic Charm)
9. Make Some Wind Chimes for Your Garden, Yard, or Front Porch
10. Create a Marble Racetrack Using a Foam Pool Noodle (from Homespun Threads)
12. Make Water Balloon Pinatas (from Paging Fun Mums)
13. Play Stomp and Pop Balloons
14. Make Homemade Bubbles and Bubble Wands (from Happy Money Saver)
16. Make Sunbutter (or Peanut Butter) Apple Sailboats (from Soliloquy of Food)
17. Create Your Own Toy Car Wash
18. Play Target Practice with Water Guns (from The Taylor House)
19. Make Rainbow Crayons
20. Have fun with Water Gun Painting (from Somewhat Simple)
21. Make Eyedropper Volcanoes
22. Have a Flashlight Scavenger Hunt (turn off all of the lights in a room, close the blinds, and hide something for the little ones to find!)
23. Play Indoor Tennis
24. Make a Straw-Blown Painting (from Having Fun at Home)
25. Design Your Own City
26. Make and play with some Dirt Dough (from Growing a Jeweled Rose)
27. Paint Shells
28. Make Drums out of Tin Cans (from Minieco.co.uk)
29. Go Magnetic Fishing
30. Make Some Fluffy Bathtub Paint -- you could use this in an outdoor mini pool, too! (from Housing a Forest)
32. Let your kids play in a "bubble bath" in a mini outdoor pool. We did this a lot last summer -- just pour in some bubble bath while you're filling up the pool. It makes splashing around so much more fun!
33. Go on a Tree Scavenger Hunt, Make Bark Rubbings, and enjoy a Tree Snack
34. Play with Legos in Water (from Creative with Kids)
35. Make some Toilet Paper Trails
36. Go on a Bug Hunt (from No Time for Flash Cards)
37. Play with Trucks in Shaving Cream "Snow"
38. Host an Ice Cream Taste Test (from No Time for Flash Cards)
39, Create a Dinosaur Sensory Bin and make some Fossil Cookies
40. Make some Sponge Bombs (from Inner Child Fun)
41. Defend your Castle and have some fun with these Marshmallow Shooters
42. Make your own Trail Mix: set out a bunch of different ingredients (nuts, seeds, cereal, pretzels, Goldfish, M&Ms, etc.) and let your kids create their own mix. Then find a trail and go for a hike!
43. Make some Masking Tape Roads
44. Nothing says summer like some fruit and some water play. Go Bobbing for Apple Slices!
45. Get out the hose and the sidewalk chalk for some Firefighter Play (no real flames, here!)
46. Visit an Airport
47. Visit a Pet Shop
48. Play some Nursery Rhyme Games
50. Visit the Zoo and make some Paper Plate Lions
51. Watch the movie "A Bug's Life" and make some Egg Carton Ants