You know what makes feeding a family so frustrating? It’s not necessarily the planning, the list-making, the shopping, or the actual cooking. Instead, many of us are most challenged by the daunting task of finding new recipes that everyone around the table can agree on. Because let’s face it: almost all of us have at least one family member who might be described as “picky,” “choosy,” or “selective” when it comes to his eating habits. That’s what makes recipes like this One Skillet Chicken with Garlic Mushroom Sauce so special: it’s made with clean and wholesome ingredients; it’s easily adaptable to suit even the most discriminating palates; and it’s ready with only 5 minutes of prep! This is one of those true gems that will make everyone smile.
I’m on a constant quest to create tasty weeknight dinners that get you out of your mealtime “rut,” without sacrificing time spent with family. At the end of the day, there’s seriously nothing worse than spending an hour in the kitchen to get a meal on the table, only to have your over-tired toddler snub what you served and refuse to eat his dinner. Nobody wants to fight that battle — and now you don’t have to!
I created this simple chicken dinner with a few basic ingredients that can be on the table in just 25 minutes from start to finish…with only one skillet to wash at the end. It was inspired by the dinner that my mom served for Christmas — a beef tenderloin with a red wine and mushroom gravy. I could not stop thinking about that gravy! But since I’m not serving an expensive piece of beef on an average Monday night, I figured I should try something similar with the chicken breasts that I always have in my kitchen.
My version of Mom’s mushroom gravy is a basic garlic and mushroom cream sauce — minus the cream! Instead, I prefer to use another kitchen staple: Horizon Organic Whole Milk. While it’s creamy, smooth, and delicious, it’s also full of protein, calcium, DHA Omega-3 and Vitamin D.
With some Horizon Organic Butter in the sauce as well, you get a rich dish made with classic flavors. What child (or adult) can argue with buttery mushrooms sauteed in a creamy garlic sauce?!
However, if your son refuses to take a bite of mushroom, or if your daughter doesn’t want to see mushroom sauce poured over her meat, then that’s okay too! I’ve been there, and a picky family member doesn’t mean that you have to forego the pleasure of this meal! Here are my tips to make the dinner a winner for everyone at your table:
- After you remove the cooked chicken from the pan so that you can make the sauce (recipe Step 2), set aside a certain amount of chicken that you will not return to the skillet at the end. This plain chicken is “safe” for just about any picky eater — no mushrooms or cream sauce necessary!
- If your child will enjoy the cream sauce but not the mushrooms, that’s easy — just spoon a bit of the creamy goodness over that particular slice of chicken, being careful to avoid the mushrooms in the skillet. Hey, it just means more mushrooms for the rest of the family!
- If your baby is still not able to chew meat, or if someone at the table doesn’t like chicken, just spoon the mushroom sauce over pasta, rice, vegetables, or any other side dish on the menu.
- And finally, adjust the sides to accommodate your family’s preferences: this chicken and mushroom sauce pairs nicely with just about anything — mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, dinner rolls or a baguette, or a lower-carb option like broccoli or cauliflower rice.
See what I mean?! This dinner works for everyone at your table! And with just 5 minutes of prep and one skillet, you will leave the kitchen feeling proud, empowered, and calm. A happy, nourished family is the ultimate goal at the end of the day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts; sliced lengthwise into thin cutlets
- 3 tablespoons Horizon Organic butter
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Horizon Organic Whole Milk
- ¼ cup white wine (or for a non-alcoholic option substitute with an equal amount of chicken broth)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Cook chicken for about 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.*
- Melt butter in the skillet. Add garlic and mushrooms to the skillet, sautéing until mushrooms are tender (about 4 minutes). I like to scrape up the bits at the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as I stir. This gives the sauce so much flavor!
- Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir until thick (about 1 more minute). Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Stir in the wine (or chicken broth). Bring sauce to a gentle simmer (don’t let it boil), and cook, stirring regularly until it thickens slightly (about 3-4 minutes).
- Return chicken to the skillet to warm through. Serve chicken with plenty of mushroom sauce on top and garnish with fresh parsley.
Cooking for Two? This recipe can easily be cut in half by using 1/2-lb. of chicken and half as much sauce.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.