With just four basic ingredients you can have a Healthy Chicken Enchilada Casserole ready to go in the oven — with only 5 minutes of prep time! Easy, nutritious, and family-friendly weeknight dinners don’t get any faster than this!
You guys know that I love a simple dinner that I can toss together with little-to-no prep time, right? Well I managed to tweak one of our family’s favorite casseroles to make it healthier AND faster — and best of all, every boy in the house loves it!
Take advantage of shortcuts by using rotisserie chicken meat that you pull or chop in advance, leftover grilled or roasted chicken from a previous meal, or even a bag of refrigerated or frozen cooked and sliced chicken (I like to keep the all-natural cooked frozen chicken strips from Costco in my freezer so that I always have some meat on hand for dishes like this). With your chicken already cooked and chopped, it’s really just a matter of layering your ingredients in your prepared dish and popping it in the oven. So simple!!!
And you know what? You can even make it in advance (nap time, weekend meal prep, whenever it suits YOUR schedule), and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to cook it. Again, so simple!!
4-Ingredient Healthy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups (12 ounces) diced or shredded cooked chicken (such as rotisserie chicken meat)
- 1 ½ cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Optional garnish: sour cream, sliced green onion, sliced olives, diced avocado or guacamole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken, half of the enchilada sauce (about ¾ cup) and half of the cheese (about ½ cup).
- Place 4 of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared dish, tearing them as necessary to cover the bottom (overlapping is fine).
- Top with half of the chicken mixture and drizzle with ¼ cup of enchilada sauce. Repeat layers one more time.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes (until cheese melted and casserole is hot and bubbly).
- Garnish with optional toppings!
Looking to simplify your life even more? Check out my eCookbook Fast, Fresh & Fit!, which includes some of our family’s easy go-to recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner — and none of them require much prep time! You can learn more HERE!
Looking for other quick and easy dinner recipes? Try these favorites: