Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Thanks to a cocoa-flavored batter that is studded with miniature chocolate chips, your family will never know that there are fruits and veggies hiding in these delicious Sneaky Healthy Chocolate Chip Pancakes!
Remember my friend Monica, who you met earlier this month when I shared her recipe for Egg and Veggie Muffins?
Well, Monica has done it again! These healthy chocolate chip pancakes are one of her kids’ favorite recipes, so I knew that I had to give them a try. And you know what? They are incredibly yummy! I promise — you (and your kids) will never taste the good-for-you ingredients that are tucked inside these fluffy, wholesome cakes.
Between the Egg and Veggie Muffins, the Baked Apple Cinnamon Donuts, and now these pancakes, you should have a freezer stocked full of tasty and healthy breakfast options that will fill your kids’ bellies with nutritious energy for their school days. And you will be loving life because you won’t have to think about preparing the morning meal when you’re trying to rush out the door. Just microwave these chocolate chip pancakes for about 30 seconds to 1 minute while they’re still frozen and they’ll be ready to serve!
My boys think that they’re getting away with something when I allow them to eat “chocolate” for breakfast. Little do they know that I’m the one getting away with something! Even though Gibbs and Casey are both really good about eating their vegetables, I feel so much better knowing that they have an extra serving of whole grains, fruits and veggies before I send them out the door in the morning. And while the cottage cheese gives them a protein boost, you can make these pancakes even more filling and nutritious by enjoying them my favorite way: topped with peanut butter and sliced banana or Greek yogurt.
These Healthy Chocolate Chip Pancakes are so darn good, nobody will ever guess the sneaky fruits and veggies that are hiding throughout…
I tweaked Monica’s recipe in order to use the ingredients that I had on hand. Here’s what I did:
Sneaky Healthy Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup peeled roughly chopped carrots, or baby-cut carrots
- 2 cups whole oats
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk plus 1/4 cup as needed (I used 1% milk)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple peeled and roughly chopped (if you have a high speed blender you can leave the peel on the apple)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Place the cottage cheese, carrots, oats, spinach, cocoa, 1/4 cup milk, honey, vanilla and apple into a high quality blender. Blend on high until the mixture is very smooth, about 1 minute. If the mixture is too thick, add an additional 1/4 cup milk and blend.
- Add the eggs and pulse to incorporate.
- Add the baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Pulse again to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Heat a pancake griddle or skillet over medium-low heat. Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Using a ¼-cup measure, pour the pancake batter onto the heated skillet. Cook the pancakes on one side until large bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and finish cooking on the other side, about 1 minute.
Recipe adapted from www.FoodNetwork.com.