Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
One of my best strategies for getting everyone up and out the door easily in the morning is to have a number of no-prep breakfasts ready and waiting for us in the kitchen. Some of the staples that I always have on hand are cereal and oatmeal, toast, yogurt, fruit, and a freezer full of muffins, pancakes, and waffles. That way, when everyone is hungry and ready to eat, all I have to do is pull out the proper serving (which usually takes less than 1 minute), and breakfast is served!
With the school year starting again soon, it’s going to be more important than ever for me to have plenty of morning options ready to grab and go when we need them. I wanted to come up with a new option, though…something healthy and fun to get the boys started on the right foot. These Baked Apple Cinnamon Donuts are the perfect solution to our busiest Back-to-School fall mornings!
I’ve mentioned on the blog in the past how much I love my donut pan. After all, donuts have always been one of my favorite foods, and now I can bake them at home whenever I want, I can create any flavor combination that my heart desires, and I can even make them nutritious!
Prepared with whole wheat flour, fruit, and just a small amount of sugar and butter, these donuts provide healthy energy for you and your little ones. Best of all, they can be baked in advance and kept in your freezer until you need them. To defrost, just take a donut out of the freezer, put it on a plate, and microwave for 15-20 seconds. In less than a minute, you have a tasty, good-for-you, Grab-and-Go breakfast to fuel your day!
This recipe makes just 6 donuts, because that’s how many molds are in my donut pan. Feel free to double the recipe if you have a larger pan or if you want to make multiple batches!
Baked Apple Cinnamon Donuts
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add applesauce and melted butter and whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in grated apple.
- The batter will be thick, which is fine!
- Fill donut molds about 2/3 of the way full with batter. To make this step really easy, I like to put the batter in a large plastic zip-top bag. Snip a small corner off of the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into the donut molds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until donuts are lightly browned.
- Allow donuts to cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
Looking for other great grab-and-go breakfast options? Try these: