Do you (or your kids) love to eat cookies? If you’re looking for a good-for-you, new way to enjoy a treat in the morning then you have come to the right place. These Healthy Honey Nut Cheerios Breakfast Cookies are a fun spin on the classic bowl of cereal!
You may remember that a couple of weeks ago we received some Big G cereals in the mail as a way of introducing us (and our readers!) to this month’s #SuperHeroing campaign, which is a joint project between General Mills and DC Comics. In case you missed it, you can check out that full post here.
For a limited time (through April), specially marked boxes of General Mills Big G Cereal come with a free comic book inside and wearable, cut-out super hero costume pieces.
The boys have enjoyed reading their new comic books, posing as super heroes, and visiting the Big G Cereal Heroes website to read even more free DC comics. Have you jumped on over there yet?
And since my busy little super heroes need plenty of energy to get them confidently through their day, I created these Honey Nut Cheerios Breakfast Cookies with a few of our favorite pantry ingredients. There’s nothing weird or unusual in these treats…just some delicious fruits, nuts, and whole grains in a power-packed little package.
This recipe prepares about 12 cookies, but they freeze really well so you can keep them fresh and on-hand for your busiest mornings. Enjoy!
Healthy Honey Nut Cheerios Breakfast Cookies for my Big G Cereal Heroes!
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 small banana mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together butter, oil, and honey.
- Add egg, applesauce, mashed banana, and vanilla and beat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Add Honey Nut Cheerios, raisins, and almonds and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Use a ¼ cup measure to scoop out dough and drop on cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until they smell good but are still slightly soft. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer them to wire racks.
Many thanks to Big G for sponsoring today’s post, but our love for comic books and cereal is all our own!