Do you (or your kids) love to eat cookies? If you’re looking for a good-for-you, new way to enjoy a treat in the morning then you have come to the right place. These Healthy Honey Nut Cheerios Breakfast Cookies are a fun spin on the classic bowl of cereal!
You may remember that a couple of weeks ago we received some Big G cereals in the mail as a way of introducing us (and our readers!) to this month’s #SuperHeroing campaign, which is a joint project between General Mills and DC Comics. In case you missed it, you can check out that full post here.
For a limited time (through April), specially marked boxes of General Mills Big G Cereal come with a free comic book inside and wearable, cut-out super hero costume pieces.
And since my busy little super heroes need plenty of energy to get them confidently through their day, I created these Honey Nut Cheerios Breakfast Cookies with a few of our favorite pantry ingredients. There’s nothing weird or unusual in these treats…just some delicious fruits, nuts, and whole grains in a power-packed little package.
This recipe prepares about 12 cookies, but they freeze really well so you can keep them fresh and on-hand for your busiest mornings. Enjoy!
Healthy Honey Nut Cheerios Breakfast Cookies for my Big G Cereal Heroes!
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 small banana mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together butter, oil, and honey.
- Add egg, applesauce, mashed banana, and vanilla and beat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Add Honey Nut Cheerios, raisins, and almonds and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Use a ¼ cup measure to scoop out dough and drop on cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until they smell good but are still slightly soft. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer them to wire racks.
Many thanks to Big G for sponsoring today’s post, but our love for comic books and cereal is all our own!