Thanks to the flavorful, garlic and Parmesan topping, this Dump-and-Bake Parmesan Smothered Chicken stays moist and tender as it bakes in the oven. You serioulsy can’t go wrong with this dinner!
This recipe was originally posted in May, 2013. The photos were updated in September, 2017.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! This is my kind of recipe – it tastes great, it’s good for you, my kids gobble it up, and it takes about 5 minutes to prepare! Oh, and your house will smell amazing while it cooks.
I like to keep it light and healthy by using a small container of plain Greek-style yogurt in the topping. That said, if you're not a big fan of yogurt (or if you just don't have any in your refrigerator right now), mayonnaise or sour cream work beautifully as an equal substitute.
Low Prep Big Flavors
The main point is that you can pull this easy chicken breast recipe together at the last minute with just a handful of ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
It takes a grand total of about 5 minutes to prepare before you pop it in the oven and your job is done! We could all use more recipes like that in our dinnertime arsenal, right?
Ingredients - Here's What You Need;
- Chicken Breasts
- Greek Yogurt
- Garlic Powder
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- Italian Breadcrumbs
Cooking Just for Two?
You can modify this recipe to make as many chicken breasts as you need. For instance, if you only want to cook 2 chicken breasts, just cut the topping ingredients in half as well. You can bake the chicken in a smaller dish, but the cooking instructions remain the same.
The simple flavors in this dish pair really nicely with a variety of sides, too. I have served it with pasta and marinara sauce, with rice, with pasta tossed in pesto sauce, or just with a loaf of crusty garlic bread (that you can heat in the oven at the same time).
Add a salad, some green beans, steamed broccoli, or a satisfying Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Casserole on the side and you've got an amazingly delicious (and amazingly EASY) meal!
Plus, this is a great option if you're cooking for just two people. You can easily scale down the ingredients to suit as many mouths as you need to feed!
More Chicken Recipes You Might Like;
- Crispy Roast Chicken with Vegetables
- Dump and Bake Chicken Pot Pie
- Dump and Bake Chicken A La King
- Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Smothered Baked Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs. total)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 6 ounce container plain Greek yogurt (or you can substitute with about ¾ cup of mayonnaise or sour cream)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place chicken in prepared dish and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, yogurt, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over chicken. Lightly sprinkle breadcrumbs over chicken (about 1 teaspoon per chicken breast).
- Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes.