This recipe was originally posted in May, 2013. The photos were updated in September, 2017.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! This is my kind of recipe – it tastes great, it’s good for you, my kids gobble it up, and it takes about 5 minutes to prepare! Oh, and your house will smell amazing while it cooks…
Thanks to the flavorful, garlic and Parmesan topping, this Dump-and-Bake Smothered Parmesan Chicken stays moist and tender as it bakes in the oven. You serioulsy can’t go wrong with this dinner!
I like to keep it light and healthy by using a small container of plain Greek-style yogurt in the topping. That said, if you’re not a big fan of yogurt (or if you just don’t have any in your refrigerator right now), mayonnaise or sour cream work beautifully as an equal substitute.
The main point is that you can pull this easy chicken breast recipe together at the last minute with just a handful of ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. It takes a grand total of about 5 minutes to prepare before you pop it in the oven and your job is done! We could all use more recipes like that in our dinnertime arsenal, right?
The simple flavors in this dish pair really nicely with a variety of sides, too. I have served it with pasta and marinara sauce, with rice, with pasta tossed in pesto sauce, or just with a loaf of crusty garlic bread (that you can heat in the oven at the same time).
Add a salad, some green beans, steamed broccoli, or a satisfying Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Casserole on the side and you’ve got an amazingly delicious (and amazingly EASY) meal!
Plus, this is a great option if you’re cooking for just two people. You can easily scale down the ingredients to suit as many mouths as you need to feed!
Smothered Baked Chicken
Yield 4 -6
Thanks to the Parmesan topping, this Dump-and-Bake Smothered Parmesan Chicken stays moist and tender as it bakes -- with only 5 minutes of prep!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs. total)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) container plain Greek yogurt (or you can substitute with about 3/4 cup of mayonnaise or sour cream)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place chicken in prepared dish and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, yogurt, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over chicken. Lightly sprinkle breadcrumbs over chicken (about 1 teaspoon per chicken breast).
- Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes.
Cooking Just for Two? You can modify this recipe to make as many chicken breasts as you need. For instance, if you only want to cook 2 chicken breasts, just cut the topping ingredients in half as well. You can bake the chicken in a smaller dish, but the cooking instructions remain the same.
Serving Size 1 large chicken breast (about 8 ounces) with topping
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 137 mg
Sodium 612 mg
Total Carbohydrates 3.6 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 59 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Need some help planning your family’s meals? When you join Simply Mailed, I will send you 3 quick-prep dinner recipes and a grocery shopping list each week. This super-affordable service takes the stress out of dinner, saves you time and money, and brings your family together at the end of the day. There are even options for smaller households of just 1 or 2!